Salt, mud, and sun


Advertisement
Jordan's flag
Middle East » Jordan » West » Dead Sea
July 7th 2007
Published: July 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hey,
So I must apoligize for my lack of contact... internet has been very difficult to get my hands on and the time to use it even more so.
Yesterday we played tourist and spent the day at the Dead Sea. It was incredible! The sensation is unlike anything else. We first arrived at this semi-resort that is frequented by tourists but mostly Middle Eastern tourists. It had a couple swimming pools and a private section of beach and showers... stuff we didn't need but it made it all easier. I think the place was named (oh so original!) "The Dead Sea Spa." After establishing ourselves on a couple chairs we headed down to the beach. The sand was incredibly hot and those few who forgot sandels had fried feet by the end of it. Rushing into the shallows, the famous mud greeted our toes, feet, ankles, and even knees in parts. Carefully I submerged myself and... floated. Like never before. It's crazy, the water is so full of salt and minerals it becomes so much denser than a human body we just kinda bobbed around like corks with no effort at all. Attempting to keep your feet underneath you was possible but required effort and often they would escape and fling themselves toward the surface.
The second sensation was not quite so pleasant. A stinging burn in cuts you didn't even know existed and in other places even more uncomfortable. It was one time in which hairier was better. Those among us who had opted for their vain side and had shaved that morning were in agony. Intense pain on those sensitive faces, legs, armpits, and (ouch) bikini lines is somethng I'm glad I missed. We were also extremely careful to not splash because that thick water in your eye would be horrible!
The next step in the Dead Sea process involves fishing around the shallows with groping hands, pulling up handfuls of dark, slimy mud, and proceeding by smearing it all over one's body. Wading in as sweaty young students, we emerged as laughing black monsters. "Is it covering my back?" "Haha you look like a Nigerian!"
After taking many photos (or getting help from others considering the state of our hands), we attempted to lay out and let our covering dry. However, I found that being several shades darker meant that staying out in the sun was too difficult so we ran up the hot sand to the showers.
The remaining day was spent blissfully laying in the shade, cooling off in the swimming pools, and applying layer after layer of sunscreen. At 3pm the long awaited and partially dreaded IB results came out for the 2nd years in the group. Thank goodness I don't have to go through that quite yet! They all used the hotel computers to check the results of the tests that partially represant their two years at a UWC. But they all did really really good and there was just more smiles and laughter as a result.
At sunset we went back down the the Dead Sea and laid in the water until the sun was gone (or those of us who could bare the pain). Because of the wind changes, swells appear at sunset and we enjoyed bobbing around in their push. It was also nice to have less intense light.
Today was a second day of leisure as we spent nearly four hours in what is considered downtown Amman. It reminded me of Kathmandu except less of everything... people, shops, bikes, colors, cows... We bought many souviniers including the traditional red and white Jordanian scarves and yummy spices.
We have just eaten an amazing meal here at Jude's house. I am now being pushed so others can use the internet so I'd better wrap it up. Love you all so much and hope everything is well at home!

Much love,
Malia


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Mud CoveredMud Covered
Mud Covered

Yay for soft skin... the one in the middle's me.


8th July 2007

New Mexican mud-dauber
The mud at Ojo looks more like adobe, but I bet the weird feeling as it dries is the same as the Dead Sea mud. Looks like you all had a really fun time! Luv ya! - Elaine

Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0423s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb