Petra at last


Advertisement
Jordan's flag
Middle East » Jordan » South
March 31st 2016
Published: March 31st 2016
Edit Blog Post

Finally, I have made it to Petra, Jordan. Was so excited that i showed up at the meeting place very early. Turns out the other 12 people in our group felt the same. We got started from Aqaba, Jordan, before the time set. Two hour trip in a small van/bus and we were there. Nice entrance and staging area. We had a guide who said his father was born in a cave in Petra. He relates that everyone knows him there, and it appeared so. We went down the siq and had few people around. It had rained for 2 days prior so the last part of the siq walk was in water or jumping from higher ground to higher ground. When the siq opened up to show the treasury there were groups that had caught up to us, and lots of people milling around. However, it really is a breath taking moment when you come out of the narrow canyon and see that impress facade. Tour proceeded down the Roman road area and we ended up high at the Byzantine church. Did not try for the monastary this time. 800 steps up and back, needs more time than we had. Our guide was taking us to Little Petra, so less time in Petra itself. The sights of the royal tombs and other areas were a lot more impressive that I had imagined. Hurried back to the treasury and then back up the siq, to finally end up in the van. Off to Little Petra, and hardly anyone there. Nice to just absorb the area.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.186s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 13; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0775s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb