Jordan Journey (Blog 3)


Advertisement
Jordan's flag
Middle East » Jordan » North » Amman
October 25th 2006
Published: October 25th 2006
Edit Blog Post

FloatingFloatingFloating

Me and Gareth floating the day away on top of the dead sea. Can almost see my six pack.....or not.
Hey All / Any that log into this....

Just back from a really thrilling holiday in Jordan (Yes I know, most people think im on a holiday in kuwait, but i get more too)

Some of the highlights included:

- Going on a camel ride as the sunrose at 5.30AM. Absolutely stunning - we went into the desert and stayed at a Bedquin camp (Where the locals lives in tents in the desert) - Had a good camp fire etc before - like my old scout days )

- Visting Roman ruins at Jesrah (North of Amman) - most impressive - got almost involved with their Roman drama/play and were killed by a Gladiator!!

- Climbing Mt Nobu was wicked, unbelievable views looking down towards Bethlehem, Jerusalam, Jerricho etc... That was where Moses first stood and spotted the promise land (Israel) - It turns out all 4 guys on the trip had all had some form of church upbringing so we all recognised and realised how big and important the places we were going to were to all faiths...

- Having machine guns pointed at us anytime we went near the Israeli/palestinian border! We didn't
Camels can be soreCamels can be soreCamels can be sore

It was my idea to get up at 5.30AM to go Camel riding into the sunrise.... Tis agony after the first hour though, even in my 'pro' looking both legs over the same side position )
actually have time to do Israel in the end, but we could have almost swam across the dead sea toget there, but we decided not to. Too many stingrays in the water alledgedly - and after the Crocodile Hunter I were a little bit fearful....

- Floating in the dead sea was pretty cool too, it's not a myth to get tourists there, you actually do float - tis a very bizarre experience... The night before we drove to this campsite, but it was closed and we had nowhere to stay as we were in a isolated area of the dead sea - Anyhows, some little man who didn't speak any english put us up in his little house at a sewage treatment plant for the night - very nice hospitality. So we watched his favourate bollywood dvd and showed him a few card games..... After the dead sea there are loads of natural streams near it so you wash the salt off there..

- Petra was fab, just pure wow all the way - I rode a Donkey up a very steep mountain to see an old church.... my donkey was an incredible athlete - climbing like
Savage DeathSavage DeathSavage Death

Killed by a bad Jordanian Actor - the shame. This was the aftermath of some Roman fighting festival in Jerash - North Jordan!!!
45 degree or steeper gradient - at one point he lost his footing though and we had a wobble on the edge of the tiny ledge (Nothing to worry about, only 400 metre pure fall!!!!) - Perhaps the Donkey had sucicidal urges, I'm not sure..... But again, the tranquility at the top of those sumits was just unbelievable... All the buildings in Petra are carved from rocks over 2000 years ago, truly miraculous place and I fully understand why people now call it the Jewel of the Middle East - definately worth a visit....

- Might have had some issues with J.D and customs.... (

- Ummm, what else.... Oh, we went to Aquaba as well. That was just for some snorkling and chill time on the beach.

- Only 7 weeks or so before I'm back at xmas to UK, must book my flight soon... Just my talent show to get sorted and rehearsed for now, thats december 18th - should be relaxing term barr that. Have cast my Robin Hood now too so will kick off with all that too a couple of nights a week....



Keep the emails coming guys, tis
Stuck.....Stuck.....Stuck.....

Twas easy to climb, but not so easy to get down!!! Exploring ancients caves in the beautiful city of Petra.
wicked to hear from you all. Laters.



Matt



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Little Donkey....Little Donkey....
Little Donkey....

Me on my Donkey riding into a new area - similarities with Christ? I fear not.... Anyhows, this was the bottom of the mountain, looks pretty tame there - it's when the Donkey starts hurrying up in an area where walkers are too scared to go that you have to start panicking....
Mount NebuMount Nebu
Mount Nebu

Paul, Me, Gareth and Jill on Mount Nebu. Where Moses buried and where he first saw the 'Promised Lands'
Don't slipDon't slip
Don't slip

Up a mountain in Petra... Tis not just a posed pic, tis a vertical drop where my friend is balancing on his knees... THE FOOL!


23rd July 2007

great travelBlog
Hi Matt great blog.enjoyed your first one about Uni. and your TV work. Ill watch out for the next one , regards David

Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0612s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb