Meeting Chechens in Jordan


Advertisement
Jordan's flag
Middle East » Jordan » North » Amman
October 23rd 2011
Published: October 23rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Dinner last night was a great success. I rounded up three from our trip (Kathy, Andrew and Michael). We were joined by a Monitor couple who are colleagues of Andrew’s . We ate at the “Living Room” a very westernish restaurant about 15 minutes from the Crowne Plaza. Jennifer ordered about six dishes and we all just dug in.


This morning we spent in a three hour meeting. Local staff at RTP told us about the local operations in Jordan. Then we drove 15 minutes through Amman to a Community Centre to take part in a session organized for teenage girls (and observing moms) by the Jordan Chechen society. Turns out that these Islamic Yugoslavians were driven out of their own countries by Stalin , and others, and were taken in by the Jordanians. Nevertheless they are viewed as a minority group. The girls in particular are often isolated so a chance to get together is very welcome.

The RTP coaches led a discussion on the issue of violence and empowerment. They discussed the definition of violence (does shouting count?) and how victims should react (should you tell others or will you be blamed?). Then we all played a game which can only be described as a free for all. It was a scramble for a ball type of game which quickly degenerated into a mass of bodies not really accomplishing anything.

In the discussion afterwards the group arrived at the conclusion that the game was chaotic precisely because there were no rules. This leads to the conclusion that in the absence of an orderly society the result is anarchy and violence. Afterwards there we many speeches. They thanked us, we thanked them. We asked them questions and we did the same. Despite l this was all through an interpreter the warmth was palpable

Then back to the hotel for a yummy lunch in the rooftop restaurant for about a dozen.. The theme was Lebanese food. Lots of the usual things we see at home (hummus) and the unexpected (lamb tart are-not baaaad). I had great time tasty each of the 15 dishes on the table and was preparing to stand up when I was told there were two more courses. I couldn’t imagine eating anymore so I thanked everybody and bolted.

We are now in the Doubletree at Aqaba after a short flight. Team dinner tonight and a really full day tomorrow.




Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0382s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb