Amman (Rabbah)


Advertisement
Jordan's flag
Middle East » Jordan » North » Amman
September 18th 2008
Published: September 18th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Historians estimate that a city has existed on this site since 3,000 years before the birth of Jesus. Rabbah was a city of the Ammonites (today it is called Amman, or Rabbat Bene 'Ammon, the Great City of the Sons of Ammon). We are a little more than 20 miles east of the Jordan River.

Rabbah was captured by the Amorites (remember Sihon and Og? This was Sihon.) It later fell within the territory of the tribe of Gad.

Joab, King David's great general, was besieging Rabbah when David had his affair with Bathsheba. As part of his attempt to cover the affair, David arranged for Bathsheba's husband, Uriah, to die in battle. Uriah was put on the front lines, and he was killed by an archer on the city wall.

Later prophets, including Amos, Ezekiel, and Jeremiah, delivered judgment messages against this city.

Today, Amman is the capital and the largest city of Jordan.


Additional photos below
Photos: 2, Displayed: 2


Advertisement



18th September 2008

What is your feel of Jordan?
What is/was your feel of Jordan? To what could you compare it?
18th September 2008

Videos?
Will there be videos? :)
18th September 2008

amazing!
Wow! what a view! The girls enjoyed reading and seeing the pics. Isabella said to bring presents! Anja said, "that's daddy!" And Jacq said it was cool. We miss you so keep blogging! love you. shaunda
18th September 2008

Greetings to Rick
We are enjoying your postings very much. Let us know if you find any other "Zaphs or Jaspers" in Israel. Be careful.
19th September 2008

I did not bring a video camera. There are many restrictions on taking pictures, particularly anywhere near the border. Also, many women object to being photographed.
19th September 2008

Jordan was very nice. The people were friendly, warm, hospitable, and although the country is a desert wasteland, it has charm. Parts of Jordan receive only 2 inches of rain in an entire year. It is the 4th driest country on earth. Jordan is one of the only (maybe the one and only) Islamic country that will allow you to enter with an Israel stamp on your passport. Some of the friends had the border agent stamp a piece of paper so that the Israel stamp wouldn't go in their passport, but I didn't want to do that. I am proud to visit Israel, and I have no intention of visiting any Arab country where such a stamp would prevent my entry.
19th September 2008

Customs and Border Control
We flew into the airport in Amman, Jordan. We went through customs very easily, all they really wanted was $14 for the visa stamp. No one asked any questions or opened our bags, they just went through an x-ray machine. I kind of got the impression that they figured that if we were allowed onto the plane in New York, then we had probably been searched already. LEAVING Jordan, however, was another story. There was a long, long delay getting out of Jordan into Israel. No explanation, just very long. Getting into Israel was far easier than I suspected it would be. "A white boy wearing a cowboy hat and carrying an American passport? Enjoy your stay, be sure to spend many shekels!" I was told in advance to expect a harsh questioning interview, and warned to be honest and tell the truth, but fortunately that wasn't necessary.
19th September 2008

My favorite Rebel
Only you would be the guy NOT doing what the majority are doing regarding the passport. I'm sticking with you during the great tribulation. I may be one of the first killed but I know I'll die faithful because you'll be hard-headed and get us killed immediately. LOL!! This is such a cool trip you're on. Keep the pics coming!
20th September 2008

how exciting
I'm glad you arrived safely. all's well with Dad. Say Hi to Rick and take care. Love Mom

Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0631s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb