Amman, Jerash and bathing in the Dead Sea...


Advertisement
Jordan's flag
Middle East » Jordan » North » Amman
June 14th 2022
Published: July 3rd 2022
Edit Blog Post

Bye bye Egypt and good morning to Jordan. I love Jordan. It's a first for Tanya, but my third visit in a country I wouldn't mind to live in one day. People here are just magic. Small country, great people!



We landed pretty early in Amman, and for once in the Middle East, I'm renting a car for the few days we are here. They drive on the right, which even being European, I'm actually not that used to...so need to be careful on my own reflexes! Driving in Jordan is super easy, except in super busy Amman. At least they drive better than in Cairo here!



We first drive to drop the bags at the new W. Place is really cool! We have landed once again one of the top suites, so it's kind of normal that the room is not ready by 10am. Not an issue, it's only 27 degrees outside. I didn't want to visit Jerash in the eat...but we have a temperature drop of nearly 15 degrees in a single day compare to Luxor. So Jerash in the middle of the day won't be an issue. The GPS is set up to reach Jerash...and on the way back, I'm just using my own internal compass....and that's an experience by itself!



There are tourists around, but not that many. Most of them are also Spanish around here too! Imagine, I visited this place back in late December 2010, than went on to Syria...and less than 3 months later, the Arab Spring would change forever the future of the region. The only country who did hold solid, is actually Jordan. I'm happy to see this place booming. Some areas in Amman do look actually more like Dubai or London!



We were back by 4pm to a gorgeous suite, with an even more impressive view. There is not a lot to visit in Amman. The city itself doesn't attract too many tourists. But we did stop by the Roman Theatre the next day. Next day we are on to the Dead Sea. We are staying at the Movenpick Resort. It's next door to the Marriott, but I land another super deal, and the front desk manager is there to make us feel home in a more basic suite, but again, what a view! Didn't mind either to get this crazy terrace!



The sea level is going down by one meter every year. So yes, it's a different view than 12 years ago! This is obviously due to the evaporation and the climate change. This also means that with the years, the Dead Sea become even more salty. So we spent some time having fun and doing what every tourist does here...float on the Dead sea. Main rule, make sure you don't touch your eyes with wet hands, this would not be an enjoyable moment! So the lowest point on earth is not like the sign on the picture put it at 420 meters below sea level, it is more like 427 meters below sea level! The Dead Sea is still some 300 meters deep at the deepest point, so there is sometime to go before it is gone for ever!



Resorts are basically scattered all around the East shore. Not really any village or place to visit here. And no, we didn't visit the place where Jesus was baptized. Next morning, early drive to Aqaba. I was not a fan last time. Could have dived, but did it already and with less than 20 kms of coast, I think once was enough for me. Aqaba has the new Ayla golf club. The place looks pretty impressive and next time, I'm playing Jordan. There is only a "sand" 9 holes course in Amman, so this is a solid and looks like high quality development. Fun fact, the South Africa manager is actually a friend of friends...small world.



Next, and this is another entry...we are spending the night in the Wadi Rum. Enjoy as usual the pictures!


Additional photos below
Photos: 37, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0312s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb