All titles seem too glib; please read:


Advertisement
Israel's flag
Middle East » Israel » West Bank
August 11th 2006
Published: August 11th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Jemima:
This isn't going to be a proper update, but I'm feeling pretty helpless right now, and all I can do is write this to let you all know what's going on.

Today we went to the regular weekly demo in Bil'in, as planned. The march started out as usual, but before we even made it close to the wall, the Israeli army opened fire with sound bombs, tear gas and rubber bullets, coming right into the village. Me being the sensible person (chicken) I am, me and Elliot were pretty near the back, and we were a long way away from the real violence, so there's no need to worry on our behalf.

However, the main reason I'm telling you all this is because we found out later that one of the Israeli activists who was there was shot in the head at close range with a rubber bullet. The latest we've heard was that some of his brain had to be removed during surgery - we don't know how much of a recovery will be possible.

I don't know this guy, I didn't meet him, but the fact that this happened while we were there is enough to make me have to do something to tell people what happened. We were all there - Internationals, Palestinians and Israelis - to peacefully register our objections to the apartheid wall. How can the Israeli military possibly justify its violence towards us? How can it have potentially destroyed the rest of someone's life, simply because they wanted to take part in a peaceful protest? Elliot said everyone there knew the possible consequences of taking part, but I don't think that's true. We all know some people are probably going to get a little hurt: no-one really expects they could lose their life.

This is the article about the demo on the ISM website - I'd imagine they will update their articles as and when they know more.
http://www.palsolidarity.org/main/2006/08/11/bilin-4/

For those of you who will be attending some form of worship this weekend, please hold this guy and his family in your thoughts and prayers.

Hopefully there'll be a more cheerful final entry within the next couple of days.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

The theme of the demo...The theme of the demo...
The theme of the demo...

Protesters bore mockups of the bodies of children to represent those killed in Lebanon.
The march is abrupt;ly halted by Israeli soldiersThe march is abrupt;ly halted by Israeli soldiers
The march is abrupt;ly halted by Israeli soldiers

They actively intercepted the peaceful march before it reached the wall, and began using ssound bombs and rubber bullets straight away. It was chaotic so this is the only pic; you can see the grey puff from a sounbomb as protesters retreat.
bullets for salebullets for sale
bullets for sale

In most Palestinian towns little boys try to sell us cheap gum, but in Bil'in it's spent ammo. Surreally, the Israeli's army's use of force against Bil'in's protests sustains a trade in ammunition between the village children and internationals looking for mementoes. They've collected numerous cylindrical and spherical rubber coated rounds, and a few full-on bullets. Jemima bougght an embroidered bracelet instead.


12th August 2006

There's some considerable footage of the demo on Euronew's 'no comment' section at the moment. Looks pretty dreadful.
23rd September 2006

PEACE
you are doing an amazing thing!! Keep up the good work!
27th December 2006

Thank you
Thank you for letting us know the true situation in Palestine. Hopefully many people will read this and realize how the Wall is another tool used to further oppress Palestinians.

Tot: 0.115s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0609s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb