Continuing in the footsteps of Jesus


Advertisement
Israel's flag
Middle East » Israel » West Bank » Jericho
December 28th 2015
Published: June 16th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 31.0461, 34.8516

After a quick tour of the kibbutz and the history of kibbutz's we headed off to the Jordan River for a stop at one of the three locations considered to be where Jesus was baptized. This one is the most commercialized but it was quite moving to see people being baptised. One of our group took a dip which is allowed as long as you wear the white caftan they sell or rent.
After this we headed to Jericho which vies for lowest place on earth with Tiberius. Jericho claims 1300 feet, Tiberius claims 400 meters. The Dead Sea also claims to be the lowest place on earth so who really knows???
We visited an archeological dig of the ancient city of Jericho. The site is small but there are some great views of living quarters and part of the old wall dating back to Joshua's time although there is no mention of that war at the site
On a mountain overlooking Jericho is the site where Jesus spent 40 nights being tempted by the devil. There is a cable car up to it but we didn't have enough time. Many people go up there and spend the night praying etc..
On to the Dead Sea. I didn't go in here because I will also visit it on the Jordan side and I was told the water is less murky there and fewer rocks. Everyone else went in and it was fun to watch their reactions to how easy it is to float and as they came out and the wind dried them off they were caked with salt.
We are at our hotel just on the outskirts of Jericho and have decided to eat dinner here. Our driver is Israeli Arab and is not comfortable driving us into town at night for dinner. Our Israeli guide would not have gone with us. Jericho is in the West Bank and although everyone has been super friendly and welcoming we have not strayed from the tourist stops. Going into a restaurant in Jericho would be off the beaten path here.


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0288s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb