The Valley of the Shadow of Death


Advertisement
Middle East » Israel » West Bank » Bethlehem » Dheisheh Camp
August 9th 2012
Published: August 18th 2012
Edit Blog Post

The young man's eyes were trained desperately on the two of us. He needed help. Not sure if we could trust him, I kept my mouth shut and let my friend handle it. My friend knew many people in the camp, but this one was unknown. He begged us for help, just five minutes he said. Please come. Why not? So we followed him around the corner to his home and entered. "Do you know Mohannad? The boy wh... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 31, Displayed: 21


Advertisement




18th August 2012

Humans
Why? I know there might me many answers. Because humans are incredible, because they are stupid...
19th August 2012

Stay safe my friend.
A powerful blog. The world has a lot of unfairness and things wrong with it. As we wander the world we wish people could just be nice and get along. You've captured some interesting photos.
19th August 2012

very well written
you sound like an experienced journalist in this entry. very nat geo
19th August 2012

Thank you
thanks Harold! much appreciated MJ, thanks. Yes going through the refugee camp reminded me how fortunate i am and how others need our support
19th August 2012

HAPPINESS & JOVIALITY...NOT HERE
Another powerful blog...I hope one day happiness & joviality can return to the troubled Holy Land...my fear is it will not be soon.
19th August 2012

So Sad
Tears streamed down my face as I read your vivid account. I once watched two videos back to back. One was on the "camps" into which the Allies put displaced Jews in Europe after WWII until they could be relocated. I was shocked that "we" would do that. The second was on a Palestinian grandfather taking his grandson to see the village where he and his family had always lived until the Israelis gave them 24 hours to leave before they destroyed the village. I was so shocked that Jews, who had suffered from the hands of injustice, could then visit this injustice on others. You are doing powerful witness work; the world needs to see the truth and then act for justice. Bravo!
25th August 2012

WOW!
Very moving and very gripping!
8th September 2012

Powerful
A powerful blog drawn from an equally powerful experience. People debate the plight of refugees in clinical terms, but as you have so amply demonstrated, there are painful stories behind each so called "statistic". Thanks for enlightening the world with some of these stories.
22nd October 2012

:)
I am now back from my trip to Israel/Palestine. The political situation there is so much worse than I thought it is. I though, it would be a bit like northern Ireland has been for the last 60 years, but the types of situations that are happening in Israel/Palestine have not happened in Ireland for over 80 years. Being Irish I was very popular with the Palestinians who felt Irish people have solidarity with them. I am making a blog about the trip, but I take my time with my blogging, so it won't be ready for a while. :)
11th November 2012

I'm excited to hear about your trip! Please link me to the blog when you publish it :)
13th November 2012

:)
Here is the blog. The views in the photos should look familiar to you. :)
14th November 2012

Oh, I forgot to put the link to the blog, in my last comment. Here it is. :)
http://www.travelblog.org/Middle-East/Israel/blog-752209.html
28th March 2013

Goosebumps!
This is powerful. Reading this reminded me of The Kite Runner! It is well-written. I do not think I have read this one before. It is ridiculous how they got arrested and everything. And I understand about holding on to the keys of their houses. My grandfather was taken away from his home in يافا and he lost all his official documents, his birth certificate and all that. So of course, we are going to hold on to our homeland and things that have been taken away from us against our will.

Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 17; qc: 34; dbt: 0.0587s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb