Meeting Israeli culture, enjoying Old Jaffa, getting lost in Ha'Carmel Market and walking the beaches of Tel Aviv


Advertisement
Israel's flag
Middle East » Israel » Tel Aviv District » Tel Aviv
May 17th 2014
Published: May 21st 2014
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Trip from the Mediteranean to the Red Sear to th Dead Sea...

Tel Aviv - Jerusalem - Aqaba - Wadi Rum - Petra - Kerak - Madaba - Bethany - Amman - Dead Sea resort

Arriving in Tel Aviv

We have arrived in Tel Aviv! After an extremely long and cold day in Vienna we were greeted by a night temperature of 19°C and a very clean and organised airport. But before writing about our amazing days in Tel Aviv, I'll add a few words about our journey from Austria.

After a long and windy day in Vienna, we found ourselves finally boarding the flight to Tel Aviv, scheduled to land at 0:50. The boarding was in every aspect a different experience. The passengers were mainly Israeli and many of them Orthodox Jews with big black hats and beatiful facial hair. Everyone was carrying hand luggage that seemed to weigh several tonnes and getting everyone on board was a puzzle that I still don't know how was solved. The Israelis moved slowly, while complaining and chatting and finding non-existent space for their heavy hand-luggage. The Austrian flight attendants where in every way stretched to the breaking point having to accomodate the passengers while moving the boarding along quickly. Even when the pilot informed us that we wouldn't make it to Tel Aviv before the airport closed unless we took off within 10 minutes, the Israelis continued their slow pace. My boyfriend and I as well as an American lady behind us were all rapidly growing old with the thought that we might have to sleep overnight on the flight before taking off in the morning. But finally, with a few strict words from the flight attendants, people found their seats. We made it to Tel Aviv at exactly 0:59 - one minute to closing.

The story of our flight to Tel Aviv very well sums up how the guide of our walking tour today explained Israeli culture - 80 %!c(MISSING)omplaining, 20 %!e(MISSING)ating and then arguing for desert, not to forget the fact that Isaelis are always late. According to him Tel Aviv was founded by 66 Jewish families who began arguing the moment they had bought the land of future-Tel Aviv from the Ottoman Empire. They ended up splitting the land into 66 plots and then having a 10 year-old child draw seachells to find out which family got which plot. This again was surely followed by further complaining.

But I am getting ahead of myself.

Old Jaffa

We woke up late on Friday, enjoying the possibility of a proper sleep. Around noon, we took a walk through Jaffa, which is an ancient seaport that Tel Aviv has grown together with. While Tel Aviv dates back to 1909, Jaffa is more than 5000 years old and one of the eldest seaports of the world. Today, it is as so many other historic places a touristy spot famous for a clocktower, a flea market and Old Jaffa Port. The flea market reminded me of the Grand Bazar in Istanbul and was full of colourful clothes and jewellery. The neighbourhod is quisant and despite the many tourists, including us, it has maintained a local atmosphere. We ended up eating humus and enjoying the vibrant life of the Old Jaffa Port. I really loved the port. It was so very scenic and well the humus we had bought at a local restaurant tasted absolutely marvellous. We ended up with a romantic stroll around the seaside of Jaffa. I must admit, I really start liking the idea of having a travel buddy - espacially when promenating in such a beautiful spot.

Ha'Carmel Market and the beaches of Tel Aviv

After returning to our hostel we headed out again, desperate to see as much of Tel Aviv as we could during our short stay. We walked up Jaffa Road and onwards Nahalat Binyamin to the arts and craft market. I had really looked forward to this and was so happy to catch it as it is only twice a week. However, the items at display were both expensive and just as ordinary as at any other arts and craft market. I had hoped for something a bit more exotic but went away with the feeling that most of that stuff I can buy at the local christmas bazar back home. What did please us greatly was the bustling and completely chaotic Ha'Carmel Market which took us absolutely by surprise. Here were fresh fruits and vegetables, cheap shoes and clothes, supplies for the home and much much more. The market originally grew out of the Yemenite neighbourhood, Kerem HaTeimanim, in the 1920's and is today an integrated part of Tel Aviv for tourists and locals alike. After finding our way out of the hectic market space and getting a breath of fresh air we walked through Kerem HaTeimanim ending up at Allenby Street. From here we promenaded back along the beaches, walking with bare feet at the shore and past the many danger signs which warned people not to bath or swim in the area. I still haven't figured out whether it is because of strong undercurrents that a sign was placed every 5th meter, but the locals definitely didn't care.

In fact there are a lot of danger signs around Tel Aviv. Except from those at the beach almost every electricity line is accompanied by warning signs and even at the hostel toilet we are warned not to touch certain areas as it may cause immediate death. I thought I would worry mostly about the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, but I am certain that the bare electrical lines running through the streets of Tel Aviv are a whole lot more dangerous. While it in many aspects is a modern city, the electricity lines seem to be a donation from the old Soviet Republic. But then again, I always had a soft spot for old Soviet buildings and architecture, and with all the dramatic warning signs guiding me away from danger, I only find it and added quirk to the splendor of Tel Aviv.

Anna


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



21st May 2014
IMG_2228

Excellent
Your story about boarding the plane was wonderful. This country is rich in history and we hope to go there soon. Love hearing your impressions.

Tot: 0.125s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0776s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb