Beach Time!


Advertisement
Israel's flag
Middle East » Israel » Tel Aviv District » Tel Aviv
July 16th 2010
Published: July 16th 2010
Edit Blog Post

The Return of the Feet!The Return of the Feet!The Return of the Feet!

In a park near my apartment
So, I have a whole post written up about my recent trip to Jordan, but can't find my camera cord to retrieve the pictures. It's around somewhere, but in the meantime here's a quick run down (with pictures!) of my earlier trip to the central coast with my friend Alex.

Alex did the Birthright program in May and did some work on a farm in June, so he had been in Israel for a while. We met up at the very end of his trip, and after a really fun night in downtown, modern Jerusalem (which was something new for me!) with some of his friends, we took the bus to Tel Aviv. From Tel Aviv we took the train north a bit to Binyamina; from there it was a short taxi ride to the famous Tishbi Winery. We got a free wine tasting, complete with wine jam and olive bread and oil, that lasted for an hour and a half. Honestly, the spitoon was not used as much as it probably was meant to be.

Somewhat unsteadily, we grabbed a taxi down the coast to nearby Zichron Ya'akov, one of the earliest Jewish settlements in Israel. It was
Cloudy Day!!!Cloudy Day!!!Cloudy Day!!!

The first one I've seen since England
founded by mostly Romanian Jews around 1880, and survived as a farming community with the support of Baron de Rothschild. It was an important site for the First Aliyah, the first wave of European Jews to establish a community in the modern Zionist era. Now it's a really pretty town set above a gorgeous rolling valley in the back, and a bustling beach in the front. There is also a great little pedestrian boulevard with shopping and cafes and ICE CREAM. The winery that we came to sample next, Carmel Winery, was closed for tours and tastings, so we contented ourselves with ice cream then grabbed the bus back to Binyamina train station after some sweaty walking.

Unfortunately for us, when we got there Shabbat had already kicked into full force and so we had to change our plans and go wherever the last train was running to. Unsurprisingly, it was back to Tel Aviv, secular capital of Israel. That turned out to be a great thing, as we spent the next two nights and days lounging on the beach (though the waves were HUGE and I got stung by a jellyfish), walking along the wide, leafy streets and
Hi, AlexHi, AlexHi, Alex

At Tishbi Winery
eating yet more wonderful food. I also managed to deep fry my back and have some curious encounters with the other residents of our youth hostel, but those felt par for the course at any beachy place. We also met up with some of Alex's Israeli friends, young soldiers on weekend leave, and went with them to a famous bar in the Tel Aviv suburbs called "Mike's Place", where a band played fun rock covers of silly pop songs. It was much needed to get a wider view of some life in Israel outside the weirdness of Jerusalem!

Back in Jerusalem, Alex hunkered down with me one more night, and then I went back to the real world and had my first day of English teaching! It's been hard to pin that down properly, but the class has definitely been building in lots of ways since then.

So until next time, and my camera cord...
Love,
Jordan




Additional photos below
Photos: 31, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Red, Red WiiiiineRed, Red Wiiiiine
Red, Red Wiiiiine

The tasting equipment
Zichron Ya'akovZichron Ya'akov
Zichron Ya'akov

The pedestrian street
WindsurfersWindsurfers
Windsurfers

Alex: Israelis loooooooove XTREME sports
ValleyValley
Valley

Behind Zichron Ya'akov
Ice Cream in a Hammock Chair, Part 1Ice Cream in a Hammock Chair, Part 1
Ice Cream in a Hammock Chair, Part 1

Amazing ice cream shop in Zichron... all is going well so far
Part 3Part 3
Part 3

Safely level again, much relief
Italian FoodItalian Food
Italian Food

In Tel Aviv
MMMMMMMMMMMM
MMMMMM

Alex: "I still have dreams about that focaccia"
KIRCHENKIRCHEN
KIRCHEN

The Thing of the Kitchen
Mike's PlaceMike's Place
Mike's Place

The singer of this band won an Israeli "Idol" tv competition... when he was 10
Jaffa at NightJaffa at Night
Jaffa at Night

Looking toward Jaffa from the beach
And Tel Aviv tooAnd Tel Aviv too
And Tel Aviv too

Turning the other way to capture downtown Tel Aviv


17th July 2010

looks nice!
Beach looks beautiful! I am also jealous of the ice cream and waffles. While I was eating peanut butter sandwiches and getting eaten by bugs, you were living it up! Hope you find your camera cord soon!
17th July 2010

Ooooeerrrrr
That beach looks beautiful. I can totally understand why Tel Aviv used to be such a resort town. I'd def go there some day for the beach.
17th July 2010

How Much Ice Cream Can One Person Eat?
Seems like you are spending a lot of time eating ice cream (though I have to confess that I'm still jealous of the choclate/lemon one). Sounds fun. Looking forward to seeing more pictures.
17th July 2010
The Return of the Feet!

Mmmm....
I too am jealous of that waffle, though I would have had vanilla instead of chocolate. Also, I want to go to the beach.
17th July 2010

I'm jealous that you got to go to the beach (aside from the jellyfish sting, ouch). Sounds like you're having a great time, boo. Love you!
19th July 2010

fun in the sun
That sounds soo awesome. I'm crazy jealous and wish i could be with you but this is the nest best thing. so thanks for writing. i miss u and can't wait to see u.
27th July 2010

Cool but whats with the cloudy?
J you are so cool - but what do you mean about the first cloudy day since England?? It never rains there you know that...see you very soon! Ps what size rain jacket should I purchase?

Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0456s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb