Marking Israel's 60th...


Advertisement
Israel's flag
Middle East » Israel » Tel Aviv District » Tel Aviv
May 9th 2008
Published: May 9th 2008
Edit Blog Post

As the sun sets, and Israel's 60th anniversary officially draws to an end, my sunburned self and friends sit on our upstairs mirpeset (patio) and sing and dance our hearts out to 80s music. Perhaps not a "normal" way to bring this momentous day to a close, it seems a fitting end...dancing and singing...for a day most of the world never dreamed could happen.

And on this day, which began in the night with a tekes (ceremony), after a national day of mourning those who had the courage to stand and fight, and were killed in doing so, we celebrate. But, the real question is...what exactly are we celebrating? In the Jewish tradition we are fastidious about marking occasions, events, lives, deaths, and time periods. 30 days after a death is considered the "shloshim" the time frame for a certain "kind" or mourning. A year marks a yerzheit, the anniversary of a death. Another saying "Ahd Meah v'Esrim" means until 120 years, and signifies the longest life a man can live (by God's mouth). So, what does 60 signify?

Consider this, 60 years is half of the life that a person can potentially "at least biblically" live. If, during this time, Israel has been born, gone through infancy, adolescence, puberty, his 20s, 30s, 40s and 50s...Israel has gone through its growing pains, gotten acne, encountered its first date, gone to the army (if Israeli), college, potentially could be married, had children, gone through a "mid-life crisis" and potentially went to therapy, got divorced or some of both. The point is that Israel has LIVED...and continues to live. With growing pains...certainly. With problems...MANY. Does it need to improve, make itself better, heal bitself, consider the damage it may cause others...YES. But without life, it wouldn't have the opportunity to do any of it.

So, right now, as Shabbat draws close in on this incredible country, I am most grateful that I am alive, in a living and breathing country that has just marked its 60th year of life. Praying that the next 60 years bring about the fortitude and self-reflection that allows this space, this country, "Medinat Yisrael" to become even more holy and more at peace for all of its inhabitants.

Much love from Tel Aviv...and Shabbat Shalom,
Marni





Advertisement



9th May 2008

Can I use this?
Marni - I really like what you wrote. Can I share this with my religious school families? Keep enjoying Israel and let me know when you are back in NY. Jenn
9th May 2008

I would love you to! I'm glad you like it! When do you leave? We have to get together before that happens! Shabbat Shalom, Marni

Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0423s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb