Wednesday 21 May 2003


Advertisement
Israel's flag
Middle East » Israel » Tel Aviv District » Tel Aviv
June 1st 2003
Published: June 1st 2003
Edit Blog Post

We started this morning with meditation and breakfast on the beach in Tel Aviv. We then had a short walk through the city, with an eye towards understanding the history of the city from its secular origins and as the place where the State of Israel was declared. We ended at Independence Hall, where we saw a presentation about the declaration of the state and had a chance to discuss our own views of the important elements of Israeli society today.

After lunch at a restaurant in the Yemenite quarter of the city, we split up for our project group meetings. The youth group went to the office of the municipal youth council. We met with the president of the council for grades 7-9. She explained their activities, which focus on advocacy and student issues. For example, they have lobbied to put lockers in all of the schools, and organized parties in the schools during the Iraq war when many parents would not let their children go out. We finished the day at the Azrielli Tower, which is the tallest building in Tel Aviv and has a commanding view of the city and surrounding area.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 9; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0419s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb