Hai Bar and Kibbutz Ketura


Advertisement
Israel's flag
Middle East » Israel » South District » Eilat
April 10th 2011
Published: April 10th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Last week we went to an fantastic nature reserve in Eliat called Hai Bar Biblical Nature Reserve. It had three parts to it. In the first part, we saw Griffon and Egyptian vultures. The Griffon vultures had long necks and were very big, while the Egyptian vultures were small and fuzzy. It was funny to think that Egyptian vultures (who are so small) could eat Griffon vultures (who are so big) if given the chance to get at them while they are chicks. There were also jaguars, jackals, great horned owls, wolfs, hyenas, vipers, and other wildlife naturally found around Eliat.
There was also a dark room where one could see owls, mice, and bats. They used a technique of making it dark in the daytime and light in the night time.
Next we went on a special safari, in our car, where we saw a herds of Wild Asses ( Yes, this is their real name.) We also saw some other amazing creatures!
We also went to a kibbutz called Ketura. It was big in science and worked in a traditional kibbutz style. They had the only and first algae factory where they grow algae. They also
Hai BarHai BarHai Bar

Notice how this animal only has one horn! They were worried the other animals in the herd would reject it, but she turned out to be very popular!
have a date seed which was found in Masada and is 2,000 years old. They planted it recently and they are still waiting to see if it is a male tree or a female tree. If it is a female tree, then it will provide seeds and if they take root they will make more trees. In a kibbutz, everyone lives and works together. It was very fun to visit them.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Hai BarHai Bar
Hai Bar

Yup...this is a you know what!
Kibbutz KaturaKibbutz Katura
Kibbutz Katura

This was in an outside meeting area
Kibbutz KaturaKibbutz Katura
Kibbutz Katura

Algea farm
Kibbutz YotvataKibbutz Yotvata
Kibbutz Yotvata

We stopped at Kibbutz Yotava on our way to Eliat. They make "shoto" (choco$$late milk) sold throughout the country. Pretty good- but I like Hershey's better.
International Birding CenterInternational Birding Center
International Birding Center

We went to this reserve for birds migrating to and from Africa.
The Kingdom of JordonThe Kingdom of Jordon
The Kingdom of Jordon

From the bird reserve we could look into Jordon.
Hai BarHai Bar
Hai Bar

We saw a bird release
Hai Bar Nature ReserveHai Bar Nature Reserve
Hai Bar Nature Reserve

Lots of animals!


11th April 2011

wow
Hi Emily, Thanks for another amazing blog. I always find it fascinating to see such exotic animals. The world is certainly full of unique creatures. I was just sharing some info. with my HS students about a Kibutz. They were not familiar with the concept, and I wanted them to understand how a Kibutz operates. The idea that folks live and work together in one area is very hard to grasp, as we do not have this type of living in our area....I am so pleased you have been able to experience a different part of the world......
4th May 2011

Chocolate Milk and Algea!
I am interested in the algea farm. Why do they grow algea? What is it used for? I've always wondered what life on a kibbutz would be like.

Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0436s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb