Camel Trek!


Advertisement
Israel's flag
Middle East » Israel » South District » Be'er Sheva
April 30th 2011
Published: May 7th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Today, I went to the camel ranch by Mamshit where our family got to ride in a camel caravan. Our camel was very nice. Her name meant love. She was tall and had a big hump. All the camels at the camel ranch that people ride are girls (because the boy camels are more aggressive). Camels are much gentler than people say they are. We got to ride on the actual spice route that people would have taken thousands of years ago. We all really enjoyed riding the camels and we got to learn a lot about them, too. We learned that camels have one baby at at time. Camels do not have hooves - they have a two-toed foot and footpads. Lastly, some people think that camels carry water in their hump...but this is a myth. The camel's hump is actually made up of fat to help them survive. The guide told us a lot of information!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Our CamelOur Camel
Our Camel

It was a ling way to the ground!
Camel Hump ViewCamel Hump View
Camel Hump View

The desert path leading to the ancient Nebatean city of Memphiis long the spice route.
Camel TrakCamel Trak
Camel Trak

We actually were on the ancient spice route
Camel TrekCamel Trek
Camel Trek

We were told to lock are arms and lean back when the camel stood up.
Camel TrakCamel Trak
Camel Trak

After the ride


7th May 2011

The Camel Ride
So, were you nervous, scared when you first got on? And, especially when the camel dropped to let you off? I know I was surprised by the way mine stood up, how high I was, and how jerky the dismount was. A horse is so much easier!! I was just reading about the spice route in my class. That travel truly impacted life in that region.
8th May 2011

Camel Ride
What an interesting entry. And how many of us living in the U.S. will ever actually get to ride on a camel along the ancient spice route. How lucky you are. I enjoyed your narrative and the pictures that accompanied your blog-entry. Thanks!

Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.039s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb