At Tiberias on the Sea of Galilee


Advertisement
Israel's flag
Middle East » Israel » North District » Tiberias
February 12th 2014
Published: February 12th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Wednesday, February 12, 2014



What an amazing day! Beautiful weather and great experiences! The schedule changes a bit from time to time since they call a head and check on traffic and crowds. This morning we went to the ancient city of Joppa (Jaffa) of Jonah and the Fish fame and the place of Peter's vision of the clean things of God.



This is an wonderful country. Northern Israel in very green with much agriculture and pine forests planned over the past several decades. Israel grows almost 100 %!o(MISSING)f their food supply and are the biggest citrus exporter to Europe. The cities and villages are modern, if not ultra-modern, except the preserved old sections. Highways and bridges are very new and in great repair. Every bit of the tillable land is planted with vegetables, fruits, nuts, and olive trees.



We drove north along the coastal road to to Caesarea, built by Herod the Great. These are magnificent Roman ruins built upon ancient ruins dating back almost 6000 years. Here Herod built a temple, amphitheater, hippodrome, etc. Pontius Pilate used it as a recreation resort.



We then went on to mount Carmel to visit the Carmelite monastery. This is the site of Elijah’s great miracle against Baal. From their we had a panoramic view of the Plain of Armageddon, site of 27 past battles and the last battle of Revelations. We had lunchat Megiddo before visiting the ancient chariot city of King Solomon and Ahab. Then on to Mt. Tabor where we will pick up taxi's to get us to the top of the mountain to visit the Church of the Transfiguration, the site of the Transformation of Jesus in the book of Matthew. Then we drove 30 minutes to Tiberius on the the Sea of Galilee for dinner and overnight.



It is impossible to explain what it feels like to walk where Jesus walked. Such emotion. Deep feelings. We are receiving outstanding teaching from our Jewish tour guide, Ezra, who knows more about the Bible (Old and New Testaments) than any professor I had in seminary. I learned so much in this one day which I never knew before.



FOOD.....let me tell you it is delicious! Meats, fresh fruits, vegetables, breads, and desserts prepared in a Mediterranean style. Such very different seasonings and flavors!



I am going to TRY to add some photos for the day. Please excuse the misspelled captions, I had to hurry to give them a quick temporary caption, so I would not forget what they were.



Tomorrow, I get re-baptized in the River Jordan. The water will be cold but who cares!



Blessings from the Sea of Galilee.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.05s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb