A weekend at the Kinerret


Advertisement
Israel's flag
Middle East » Israel » North District » Tiberias
September 6th 2009
Published: September 10th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Last weekend I went with Roees friends to the Kinerret. We bought meat, salad, pita and hummus... all the necessary stuff.
The first car left on friday afternoon with Yohai, Jenny, Ohad and me. We arrived a little late at the Kinerret so instead of taking a hike in the Golan we went to visit Tiberias. Tiberias is located on the coast of the Kinerret. Here we took a look at the ancient ruins of the old city and ate a frozen yoghurt along the promenade.

The Kinerret is located 209 meters below sea level, it is the lowest freshwater lake on Earth and the second-lowest lake in the world (after the Dead Sea, a saltwater lake). Water levels are dangerously low nowadays, putting the Sea at risk of becoming irreversibly salinized by the salt water springs under the lake that are limited by the weight of the freshwater on top of them. Yes indeed Kinerret is a freshwater lake, but under the freshwater there is a saltwater level. And if the freshwater runs out, the Kinerret would become dead like the Dead Sea.

We camped at a beach on the opposite side of Tiberias. We barbequed, drank coffee, sang and played music. We also took a dive in the Kinerret. It was lovely, freshwater and cold, what more could you want? Afterwards we went to sleep under the stars on the beach. The idea was great, but we didn't sleep all night. There was too much noise and I wasn't really tired. At 5am I took a dip in the cold water again, but it didn't really help with the sleep.

We had breakfast packed our stuff and went hiking in the Golan. We did a very cool hike called Zaki. The whole hike was through a river, the depth varied from ankle height to shoulder height. Offcourse I could not bring my camera on this trip, so I don't have pictures from the hike. But I do have some from Tiberias, Kinerret and hanging out at the beach.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Frozen YoghurtFrozen Yoghurt
Frozen Yoghurt

Jenny and Me with Yohai in the back
Itamar and Yohai Itamar and Yohai
Itamar and Yohai

at the campsite


Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.026s; cc: 9; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0544s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb