Day 10 The Galilee and Footsteps of Jesus


Advertisement
Israel's flag
Middle East » Israel » North District » Tiberias
November 12th 2008
Published: November 12th 2008
Edit Blog Post

It was another warm and sunny day as our group arrived in Haifa. Israel’s largest port. Another busy port, we docked across from several very modern looking Israel navy vessels at the base of the hills that make up Haifa.

Our guide was there to meet us promptly at 8:00 AM, and it looked as though we would be off to a quick start. However, our bus could not leave the port area because someone had not paid some kind of exit fee, or some such kind of bureaucratic nonsense—a delay of about 45 minutes.

When we did get underway we drove inland to the Sea of Galilee passing farms, orchards with olives being harvested and through historical sites where the Crusaders lost a major battle. Israel in experiencing a major drought and things looked very dry. Our guide told us that the Sea of Galilee was 15 feet lower than usual.

The first stop was at the Mount of the Beatitudes. This is both a church and a retreat center where folks can come and experience the serene beauty of this place. They’ve just completed a new section of retreat center housing, a new souvenir stand and bathrooms for guests. The place was crowded with visitors from around the world. Israel is experiencing a major boom in tourism and we saw international crowds everywhere we went.

Our next stop was Capernaum where Jesus lived for a time with Peter and his mother. /This is an archeological site which includes the remains of a Byzantine synagogue from the fourth century AD. Below the ruins of that synagogue is the remains of another synagogue where Jesus taught during the time of his ministry. Several churches have been built upon the site which is thought to be Peter’s mothers home. The current church is suspended over the area so you can look underneath and see the excavated ruins of Peter’s mothers home.

We also visited the Mount Tabgha area where Jesus performed the miracle of the loaves and the fishes. There is a Dominican church at that site which is quite lovely and was being used for Mass when we were there.

The next stop was a Kibbutz where the “Jesus” boat is located. This is a first century fishing boat which was found in the mud about 16 years ago and carefully restored so people of today can see what kind of boat that Peter and the other disciplines might have used for fishing. The area also had some excellent shopping and a nice café rest area.

Our group moved inland for lunch at the Mizra Kibbutz not far south of the city of Nazareth. Here we learned a little of the history of the Kibbutz movement and its current challenges. We had an excellent meal with many varieties of meat, fish and wonderful vegetables many raised on the Kibbutz itself.

Climbing into the hills on a narrow and winding road we made it to Nazareth our last stop. After parking the bus we walked up to the Church of the Enunciation dedicated to Mary’s receiving of the word of God from the Angel Gabriel that she would give birth to the messiah, Jesus Christ. Depictions of that scene and of the Madonna and Child were arrayed around the church from nations from around the world. Inside the church is an area where it is thought to have been the home of Joseph, Mary and Jesus.

Our visit also took us to the Church of St. Joseph honoring Jesus’ earthly father. It showed scene of a strong young Jesus and his father and mother from his youngest days.

With the light starting to darken our group picked up fresh squeezed pomegranate juice, nuts and candies to take back to the ship. By about 6:30 we arrived back at the Pacific Princess and many of us opted for an early and quiet night after such a full and fulfilling day in northern Israel. Tomorrow will be a welcome day at sea.


Advertisement



14th November 2008

This is so cool!
Thanks so much for all the time you've spent giving such great detail of your trip every day. I look forward to reading each days entry and seeing the sights through your camera. What an amazing experience, thanks for sharing it!

Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0454s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb