Choosing Sides in Jerusalem


Advertisement
Middle East » Israel » Jerusalem District » Jerusalem
February 4th 2016
Published: February 4th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Throughout my travel life I have always felt that it was important to maintain, as best as possible, an observational attitude towards the places I have visited. I don’t feel it is my place to interject my personal feelings towards the customs, culture or political and religious climate of the places I have chosen to visit. After all, I think one of the wonders of travel is seeing things that ar... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 21


Advertisement




4th February 2016

Beautiful pictures for a rather depressing blog
But you picked the right side, that of life! I do believe that there is much more good in this world than bad, at least that is what travelling has taught me. It is just that the bad always is so much more destructive and publicity hungry, so it gets all the attention, always. The vast majority who don't stab, shoot or bomb each other is never highlighted in the news...
5th February 2016

Depressing....
The vast majority of the things we have done in Jerusalem have been positive. The vast majority of the people here have been friendly and welcoming. However, the few negative aspects here are so overwhelming that they cast a dark shadow over any light which may be attempting to shine. I agree that bad things make the news far more often than good things and I hate to think that I contributed to this by writing about such a negative subject. I do have faith that all will end up good. I continue to travel so that I continue to learn. I will leave Jerusalem soon, but I don't think my experiences here will leave me ever.
5th February 2016

I appreciate your thoughtful blog...
and understand your confusion as to how to react to such an intractable situation.
5th February 2016

Thanks...
Thanks for reading, Bob even though it is a difficult subject. It has definitely not been our normal stop on the tourist trail.
5th February 2016

Observational -v- Detached
It is hard not to read this blog without a furrow to my brow. Yet what you describe sounds chilling, scary maybe, definitely terribly sad. But are you so protective of your senses as you are living with these as daily events that your observational determination means you become detached? That is what struck me when reading...not being critical at all Nanci...just observational. I think you probably have to be detached to survive in what to many people is not just the holy city...but a war zone. I look forward to your further observations.
5th February 2016

Detached...
After talking to many other visitors here, it seems most have come with subjective opinions or at least preconceived feelings. They seem to already have an opinion of who is on the right (and wrong) side of issues here. We consciously tried to keep an open mind and learn as much as we could by observing. It is not possible to be detached here. It is too prevalent an issue. The sirens were going most of last night and I hate to read the news to find out what may have been the reason. I don't profess to having any answers to the situation here and ultimately won't have to live with any decisions that are (or aren't) made by those in charge. I hope they can find a peaceful solution to a sad situation. Thanks for reading and commenting.
5th February 2016
Dormition Abbey

Dormition Abbey
Like a Renaissance painting. Wonderful image Nanci.
5th February 2016
Dormition Abbey

Thanks!
This is taken from on top of the Upper Room, where many believe the "Last Supper" took place. It was about as close as we got to a nice sunset during our visit.
5th February 2016

Thanks for writing this..
This was a difficult blog to read, so I can't even start to imagine how difficult it must be be there, not only as a tourist, but as a citizen and seeing no end to this horrible situation, hearing sirens every single day and night and wondering if this time, it may be someone you know. I agree with you that many problems of today's world originate in the conflict being lived in Israel and Palestine and I also can't see an end to it. I believe there is good in people and most persons have a good heart but sometimes I also feel really guilty for having brought a child into this world... I wonder how anyone wants to have children while living in constant conflict, but I can only hope that we can teach the new generations to be more understanding and open minded that we are... as usual, great photos.
5th February 2016

The sun comes out....
Thanks so much for reading and commenting. I have to be honest, today was an absolutely beautiful day. Sunny, warm and breezy. Things seemed a lot better after a difficult day and night. I guess that's how life is. Please be assured that it is always the correct thing to have children. They are the future. If not for them, things will always stay as they are or we move backwards. They are the ones who have the answers to all problems of the past. Thanks so much for reading a difficult blog and following along as we try to find our way through the world!
5th February 2016

People views and emotions
This may be one of your more powerful blogs describing day to day life and angst in this world. Challenges come in understanding. Your thoughtful approach to travel especially in this part of the world is to be commended. We are eager to see for ourselves and yet the violence is worrisome. We do not live in fear so we must travel and hopefully travel smart. Thanks again for sharing your impressions.
5th February 2016

Views and emotions...
Thank you for reading and commenting. I suppose travel is for more than just pretty sunsets and palm trees. At its best we return from journeys smarter, wiser and better informed than when we left. Even if it is about unpleasant things sometimes, I suppose. You won't have any problem here as the troubles are not directed towards tourism at all. We saw many tour groups from visiting cruise ships today and they seemed more bothered by the aggressive vendors than anything else. There are many great things to see here and I know you will enjoy your time. We look forward to following along. Thanks for writing.
6th February 2016

Generations of hate mongering...
As difficult as it was to read this post due to the subject matter and your near encounters, I really appreciate your approach to it and your considered writing. My dad and his friends were very interested in the politics of the region and so I was surrounded by arguments/observations/analysis of the area all my life - and it's very sad to think that something that was boring adult talk to me, was a living war zone for so many people. I'm glad to hear that you felt safe and could enjoy the city despite the shadow of inhumanity around you. Safe onwards travels.
6th February 2016

Generations...
Thanks for reading and commenting on such an unpleasant subject. I hope the people who live here are successful in overcoming their challenges. All 3 religions have some form of the Golden Rule as part of their teachings. I hope for them they remember to practice what they preach. I think that would be a starting point. I'm sure it is a much more difficult situation than I can understand from my short exposure to life here. We really are looking forward to moving on. I have confidence they will be successful. I just hope for the young people here that peace comes sooner than later.
7th February 2016
Holy Sepulchre

Bullet holes in the art colony!
You've so well portrayed the beauty and the beast of Jerusalem. I so appreciate your dedication to being observant and open and to visiting places where you have an opportunity to gain a personal sense and better understanding of the difficulties that others live with. Must admit I got rather teary reading your accounts of the endless police sirens, the ill treatment of the Palestinians, and the death of youth on both sides. And for all of that, there was so much beauty in the sacred places. There was a time in Jerusalem with an enlightened mayor when there was peace. May peace return!
7th February 2016
Holy Sepulchre

Enlightened
Thanks, Tara. I know enlightened people exist and it is too bad that we have to filter through all of the darkness to find them. There is certainly wrong thought on both sides. I hope for the young people here that correct choices are made sooner rather than later. It seems to be easier to find bad leadership than good these days. Thanks for reading and commenting. I promise a more cheery blog in a few weeks!
8th February 2016

War zone
Thanks for your thoughtful well written blog Nanci....and beautiful photos. It's incredible to think really that tourism and travel is still going on in places in the Middle East where it really is a war zone. The horror of every day for people living there is unimaginable and I am move managed to hang on to your observational stance and see some beauty there as well as the tragedy.
8th February 2016

Zone
Hi Lynne, thanks for reading. I guess there are problems everywhere in the world and Jerusalem is not different. As we watch CNN it often seems like the whole world is in turmoil. The problems here really do not target tourism, so I suppose that we were unlucky to have encountered so many instances in a short period. I think most tourists here would have had more problem with the rainy weather than terrorism. We have a few days left and, truth be told, we are ready to go. I hope things improve for people here. I guess only time will tell.

Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 17; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0484s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb