Walking on Holy Ground


Advertisement
Israel's flag
Middle East » Israel » Jerusalem District » Jerusalem
October 7th 2015
Published: October 7th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Mustard Seeds on Comboni Sisters' PropertyMustard Seeds on Comboni Sisters' PropertyMustard Seeds on Comboni Sisters' Property

...for truly I say to you, if you have faith the size of a mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, "Move from here to there," and it will move; and nothing will be impossible to you. (Matthew 17:20)
I named this blog Walking on Holy Ground before beginning this blessed journey of learning, prayer and spiritual renewal. I thoroughly believe we have been walking on holy ground throughout this pilgrimage. This is illustrated just by looking at the pictures and scripture quotes included in today's post.

However, each day I have come to realize more and more this holy ground is not the Heavenly Jerusalem that we will only encounter in the afterlife. The real Jerusalem (just like real life) is messy, complex, occasionally rude and even turbulent, yet incredibly beautiful and holy. Of the many lessons I have learned over the last month and a half, one poignant lesson is that all of us are walking on holy ground each day of our lives. The holy ground that God has blessed us with extends far beyond the walls of Jerusalem; the holy ground that we walk upon is located in the bayous of Louisiana, the beaches of Northwest Indiana, the busy streets of Chicago, the rural roads of Wisconsin, in all the places throughout the world where we live our messy, complex, occasionally rude and even turbulent, yet beautiful and holy lives.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

1st Century Tomb; on Comboni Sisters' property in Bethany (Fellow pilgrim...not Lazarus)1st Century Tomb; on Comboni Sisters' property in Bethany (Fellow pilgrim...not Lazarus)
1st Century Tomb; on Comboni Sisters' property in Bethany (Fellow pilgrim...not Lazarus)

So they took away the stone. And Jesus raised his eyes and said, "Father, I thank you for hearing me. I know that you always hear me; but because of the crowd here I have said this, that they may believe that you sent me." And when he had said this, he cried out in a loud voice, "Lazarus, come out!" The dead man came out, tied hand and foot with burial bands, and his face was wrapped in a cloth. (John 11:41-44)
Church of Bethphage; 5 minutes up the hill Church of Bethphage; 5 minutes up the hill
Church of Bethphage; 5 minutes up the hill

When they drew near to Jerusalem, to Bethphage and Bethany at the Mount of Olives...So they brought the colt to Jesus and put their cloaks over it. And he sat on it. Many people spread their cloaks on the road, and others spread leafy branches that they had cut from the fields. Those preceding him as well as those following kept crying out: "Hosanna! Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord! Blessed is the kingdom of our father David that is to come! Hosanna in the highest!" (Mark 11: 1;7-10)
Hurva Synagogue; JerusalemHurva Synagogue; Jerusalem
Hurva Synagogue; Jerusalem

By the rivers of Babylon, there we sat weeping when we remembered Zion. On the poplars in its midst we hung up our harps. (Psalm 137:1-2)


8th October 2015

Thanks
Thanks for sharing your journey with all of us. I've enjoyed your beautiful pictures as well as your thoughtful commentary throughout these weeks. I wish you continued blessings.
8th October 2015

Glad you are enjoying. Blessings to you as well
10th October 2015

Morning Prayer
Thank you for bringing morning prayer at the Abbey to life in your journey. I miss being there. One of my favorites is Psalm 137 - seeing the image of harps hanging in the poplars at Hurva Synagogue brought it to life! So grateful for your inspirational photos and writings. Godspeed. Pat
10th October 2015

this time next week, I will be flying home...it has been an incredible journey. Glad you are enjoying my photos and thoughts

Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0768s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb