Yireh-salem...Jerusalem


Advertisement
Israel's flag
Middle East » Israel » Jerusalem District » Jerusalem
September 8th 2015
Published: September 8th 2015
Edit Blog Post

View toward the Temple Mount from the City of DavidView toward the Temple Mount from the City of DavidView toward the Temple Mount from the City of David

The City of David was the part of Jerusalem that was first inhabited by David and the Israelites after David made Jerusalem the capital of the United Kingdom of Israel.
Our tour guide, Jared, shared the following story with us yesterday...According to a Jewish rabbinical tradition, the city of Jerusalem is named because of two Genesis stories associated with the city. The binding of Isaac takes place on Mount Moriah, which Abraham renames Yahweh-yireh, meaning God will provide (Gen 22:14). The Jerusalem Temple Mount is believed to stand atop Mt. Moriah. The second story is in reference to King Melchizedek of Salem--also believed to be the current city of Jerusalem. "Melchizedek, king of Salem, brought out bread and wine. He was a priest of the Most High. He blessed Abram with these words..." (Gen 14:18-19a); bread and wine sounds a bit familiar doesn't it? In order to honor these two stories, God named the city Yireh-salem, Jerusalem in English.

Jared also offered some insight into the story of the man born blind in John 9. After Jesus heals the man, he tells him to go and wash in the pool of Siloam. This pool, which was a reservoir where the water gathered from the water source for Jerusalem. This pool was the source of life for all of Jerusalem, without water in the ancient cities (and our cities today) life simply could not exist. This pool was also an important place of purification and rebirth when the exiles returned from Babylon. Likely, Jesus knew of these meanings for the people of Jerusalem and was making an intentional connection to Himself as a source of life and rebirth.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Triple Arch Gate (Southern Wall of Temple Mount)Triple Arch Gate (Southern Wall of Temple Mount)
Triple Arch Gate (Southern Wall of Temple Mount)

Jesus, Mary, Joseph and countless other pilgrims would have passed through these gates as they ascended to the Temple mount. (Gates have been filled in for centuries.)
Western Wall market place (2nd Temple period)Western Wall market place (2nd Temple period)
Western Wall market place (2nd Temple period)

Our guide explained that it is in the marketplaces throughout the diaspora that rabbis would meet to debate, discuss, and educate shoppers and vendors after the destruction of the Temple in 70 CE. Very similar to "gossiping the Gospel" in early Christianity.
Entrance to Hezekiah's tunnelEntrance to Hezekiah's tunnel
Entrance to Hezekiah's tunnel

Built in the late 8th Century BCE to protect the water source for the city of Jerusalem, as Sennacherib and the Assyrians were preparing to attack the city. We walked through this 600 meter tunnel through which fresh water continues to flow from the Spring of Gideon.


Tot: 0.127s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 5; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0765s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb