On to the Holy City


Advertisement
Israel's flag
Middle East » Israel » Jerusalem District » Jerusalem
February 14th 2014
Published: February 14th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Departed the kibbutz hotel at 8 am and drove to Cana of Galilee, where Jesus performed his first miracle, turning water into wine. As “faith” would have it there was a wedding going on the church which marks to site. It really brought the festivities of the scripture story alive. It was then a short but rugged distance to Nazareth. Remember Jesus walked from Nazareth for the wedding.



I keep saying “things” are amazing, but Nazareth deserves no other word. Wevisited the Church of the Annunciation, Joseph's Workshop, and Church of the Synagogue. The synagogue where Jesus preached his first sermon was still standing, through the walls had been rebuilt a couple of times. It was smaller than most country churches I have been in. For me the highlight was seeing the ruins of the house of Joseph and Mary over which the Church of the Annunciation was built. That's the nature of marking Christian biblical sites here in Israel; building a church or chapel over or near the site of the event or dwelling.



Lunch was at a wonderful restaurant at a cattle feedlot, however, the meal was grilled chicken, potatoes, and a half-dozen salads. I am very spoiled already by the outstanding dining we have experienced. Come on America, build some restaurants like these in Israel!



We then went to the city of Beit She'an, to see the excavations and visit the Roman theater. This about where you leave the region of Galilee and go into Samaria, via the West Bank under Palestinian Authority control, with check points and fences along the Jordan border.



The difference is stark! Samaria is more like what most of us picture in our minds when we think of the Holy Lands.....grassless hills, gorges, rock, sand....very dry. This is the stomping grounds of the ministry of John the Baptist and the cave habitations of the Desert Fathers. Along the way we saw the Mountain of the Temptations of Christ and the ancient inn of the Good Samaritan story.



Bedouin shepherds moved their sheep and camels along the road. Camel rides $5. We will do that tomorrow! We then ascended into the area call Judea about 2400 feet above sea level. Judea is the hilly region of Israel, with Jerusalem as its pinnacle.



Then after another Palestinian check point just outside of Jerusalem, we entered the Holy City. I admit that tears came to my eyes and a few rolled down my cheek. What a magnificent place it is



We drove up the Mount of Olives (Mt. Scopus) for our first view of the "Golden City" We could see all of the Old City, the Dome of the Rock, Kiddron Valley, Gethsemane, and the massive cemeteries facing the Holy City. Then on the the King Solomon Hotel for dinner and a much needed rest.



I hope I will someday find the words to express what I am experiencing personally and as someone who has lived his professional life in light of all that was said and done in this place. I am filled with such emotion and somewhat overwhelmed with all the information and inspiring teaching we are receiving. All I can say on this first night in Jerusalem is “Thanks be to God!” in one of the sincere ways I have ever said it.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 8; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0423s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb