Sunday 8 June 2003


Advertisement
Published: June 9th 2003
Edit Blog Post

Today we dove back into our program after the long weekend. In the morning, we had an activity exploring the Kinneret Declaration. This was a statement issued by a group trying to build understanding among the various voices in Israeli society. The exercise was aimed at helping us use the document to think about our own feelings towards Israel and its role in the world Jewish community.

After that session, we split into three groups. Sean and Addie went to the New Israel Fund to look at their philanthropic work. Cobi, Michael, and Josh went to AIPAC to talk about their advocacy work in Israel. Rachel, Robin, Elana, and I went to Melitz, a Zionist education organization, to look at how their educational programming has changed in light of the recent drop in tourism. After meeting at the JCCA office to review the individual sessions, we were free for the afternoon.

I went to visit Michael Klein-Katz, my rabbi when I was growing up. Sally was not there, as she has been in the US for the past couple of weeks, and Michael and the boys are going over this week for the summer. Last year they moved into a gorgeous penthouse apartment in Abu Tor with a magnificent rooftop view of West Jerusalem. It was a very pleasant visit, and it was really good to catch up after so many years (I last saw them when I was here in 1995).

In the evening, we all went out to dinner with the group from Baltimore. The restaurant was good, and I think everyone enjoyed the evening.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0292s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb