Haifa, Akko and Jaffa


Advertisement
Israel's flag
Middle East » Israel » Haifa District » Haifa
April 26th 2011
Published: April 26th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We spent some days in Haifa. There we did many things! We went to the Bahai center. It is a beautiful place with many elaborate gardens with fountains. There are statues of hawks, peacocks, and eagles. There are breathtaking colors...and at the end...is a beautiful golden shrine. All the gardens are symmetrical to represent how everyone in mankind is equal.

We also went to a theater festival, but most of it was rained out by a huge storm with thunder lightning and hail! We were still able to see two plays, though, and they were great! The first one was called “Japanese Garden.” It was a play using mostly no words with dancing and electronics to show the serenity of a Japanese garden. The other show was “Jack and the Beanstalk.” It was amazing. Even though it was in Hebrew, we were able to tell what was going on. It had lots of dancing and great music. There was a HUGE and incredible puppet of the Giant!

Also while in Haifa, we went to prehistoric caves where they found the remains of a Neanderthal woman! The caves were amazing and we got to see an interesting movie
Nahal Me'arotNahal Me'arotNahal Me'arot

The had a display showing how people lived in these caves
about cave man life. It was one of the places in the world where scientists believe that our species, Homo sapiens, came in contact with another species of mankind that later became extinct.

We also took a quick trip to Akko (Acre). This is an Anceint city across the bay from Haifa. It was a Canannite city is mentioned in the Egyptian "Book of Curses." It has amazing walls around the old city built by the crusaders. It has been an Arab city city since 1291.

In Jaffa/Tel Aviv, we went to a play our father directed. It was really cool. The actress played two different characters. She had to go on a very difficult journey in the play...but found her way in the end. There was a giant camel puppet in it.

Before seeing the play (while our dad was doing final technical things...sound, lights, etc.) we walked around and saw a bunch of circus performers. We saw people juggling knives and clubs. We even saw a performer juggle fire on a unicycle...on a tightrope! It was awesome!



Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

Nahal Me'arotNahal Me'arot
Nahal Me'arot

Mini cave!
HaifaHaifa
Haifa

We stoped at this artists mall and they had these bubbles you could go in outside.
Akko Akko
Akko

Water spout in the old city
AkkoAkko
Akko

The Crusader tunnels under the city.
AkkoAkko
Akko

The Crusader walls
AkkoAkko
Akko

Lookout over the bay
AkkoAkko
Akko

Mosque of al Jazzar
HaifaHaifa
Haifa

A building in the German Colony
Play Dad DirectedPlay Dad Directed
Play Dad Directed

This is Sarah Brown who wrote and performed the play.
IbexIbex
Ibex

We visited friends who live in Midreshet Ben-Gurion. This Ibex was just passing by.
Super Market Super Market
Super Market

Durring passover week in Israel, many super markets cover up the foods you are not allowed to eat.


27th April 2011

lynnsteinboulder@gmail.com
Hi Emily, Great blog! Sounds like you had a great time. Really well written and great pictures too. And now we know some things to do in Haifa! To see what we did last weekend, go to http://steinfamilyboulder.blogspot.com. Lynn
27th April 2011

It's been years since i visited Israel. I don't remember the terraced gardens in Bahai, so that must be new. Thanks for sharing these photos! I like the crusader tunnel photos.
27th April 2011

Haifa
I grew up in Haifa and its a beautiful city; However, a lttle bit boring and heavy. You mentioned Akko and Haifa for the visit of north of Israel. I would recommend Rosh Pina which is a realy beautiful and unique town with intresting history. http://www.israelbestdeals.com/hotels.php?area=Rosh_Pina
27th April 2011
Play Dad Directed

again
Again, you have brought your wonderful adventures directly to ME. I have been telling all your friends about your experiences in Israel. I think we should try and Skype one day next week. Emma and Maggie are ready to see "Emily in Israel"...
29th April 2011

Keeping me interested...
Akko looks beautiful. I always love any place with a view of the Mediterranean. I am guessing the bay is connected. I like the idea of covering up food during Passover. I will have to share that picture with a Jewish friend. Keep away the temptation. How did you celebrate Passover there? Did you have a huge group Sedar or was it just your family? I told your sister that the pictures of the Bahai Center have motivated me to find out more about their beliefs. I also did not know that the Crusaders would have made tunnels. I am learning so much from your blogs.
4th May 2011

Hooked on Emulee's Blog!
What a terrific blog, very interesting to read. I especially appreciated the brief history of the region before venturing into the blog-message itself. And, of course, the photos made everything come to life. I sure do look forward to the next edition! My best to you and your family.
11th May 2011

Thanks for the tip! We will look into going to Rosh Pina!
11th May 2011

Thanks so much, Lynn!

Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.048s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb