Through April and into May


Advertisement
Israel's flag
Middle East » Israel » Haifa District » Haifa
May 9th 2006
Published: May 12th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Tikkun Olam ProjectTikkun Olam ProjectTikkun Olam Project

Twice a week I volunteer with a group of Autistic high school students. Last week we had a special day of outdoor challenge activities.
The time is spinning by faster than I can believe. These past few weeks were filled with out-of-the-ordinary days, which only made them pass by even quicker.
I have been volunteering all year with a group of Autistic high school students, and a couple of weeks ago we had a special treat. We went to a park near the school where we usually meet, and spent the afternoon there doing outdoor, team-building, challenge activities organized by an outdoor adventure group. It was a lot of fun!
A few days later was Yom HaZikaron, Memorial Day, for the Shoah. The Holocaust has had a particularly strong effect on Israeli society, and so the day of commemoration has a lot of meaning. I attended a ceremony here at the University.
Exactly one week later was Yom HaZikaron, Memorial Day, for Soldiers and Victims of Terror. Unfortuantely, this country does not yet know peace, and so for those who live here, this day is difficult and emotional. I attended a ceremony at the University, and another at Leo Baeck. On both Memorial Days there are one or two minute sirens that ring across the country. During the sirens, it is customary to stop whatever
Tikkun Olam ProjectTikkun Olam ProjectTikkun Olam Project

Twice a week I volunteer with a group of Autistic high school students. Last week we had a special day of outdoor challenge activities.
one is doing and stand in silence for the duration.
An interesting cultural phenomenon is the quick transition from the somber Memorial day to the joyous Yom HaAtzmaut, Independence Day. As soon as one ends, the other immediately begins. To celebrate Independence Day, Danielle and I went to Tel Aviv. We went to one of the city's centers at Kikar Rabin, Rabin Square, where there were tons of people, fireworks, and bands. It was quite an experience! We stayed overnight in a youth hostile and the next day walked for hours along the shore of the sea until it was time to return to Haifa.
Last weekend I went to Ein Hod with Jess. Ein Hod is an artist colony not far from Haifa. Today there are about 150 artists living and working there. Mostly fine artists, they work in galleries in their homes which they then open up to the public eye. The art and scenary were both phenomenal. We had a lovely weekend.
In just an hour or so I am leaving for Tel Aviv to spend the weekend with a friend there. It also should be very nice.
I confirmed my ticket back to the US yesterday.
Yom HaAtzmautYom HaAtzmautYom HaAtzmaut

Kikar Rabin was full of people, bright lights, music, and vendors.
I am really beginning to be able to taste the end of the year. Time never stops to breathe!


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Yom HaAtzmautYom HaAtzmaut
Yom HaAtzmaut

"Happy Holiday Israel!"
Yom HaAtzmautYom HaAtzmaut
Yom HaAtzmaut

Danielle and I
Yom HaAtzmautYom HaAtzmaut
Yom HaAtzmaut

One of the bands
Yom HaAtzmautYom HaAtzmaut
Yom HaAtzmaut

One of the bands
Yom HaAtzmautYom HaAtzmaut
Yom HaAtzmaut

Fireworks
Yom HaAtzmautYom HaAtzmaut
Yom HaAtzmaut

Fireworks
Yom HaAtzmautYom HaAtzmaut
Yom HaAtzmaut

A Tel Aviv beach
Ein HodEin Hod
Ein Hod

Joining in with the artwork
Ein HodEin Hod
Ein Hod

Joining in with the artwork
Ein HodEin Hod
Ein Hod

Learning to play the accordion and the "Museum of Mechanical Music"
Ein HodEin Hod
Ein Hod

Driving a bus


Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0513s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb