Caesarea: Not just any Archeological site- the off the beaten trail tour


Advertisement
Israel's flag
Middle East » Israel » Center District
August 22nd 2010
Published: August 22nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

The Ancient archeological site of Caesarea has everything from ancient Roman ruins to Crusader fortifications to modern day theater shows at the sea front.
Though if theaters, hippodromes, amphitheaters, bath houses, temples, ports and fortification motes are not a good enough reason for you to go visit the city allow me to present to you the off the beaten tour of Caesarea:
From Land to Sea: After you check out the super expensive shops and art galleries along the port you can stroll along what used to be the most spoken about port in the Roman Empire and the only man made port of that size! King Herod himself set out to built yet another eye opener in his kingdom. The Jewish lucrative temple and Masada palace in the middle of the desert were not enough, now he needed a place where the Pagans and Romans could enjoy and so he decided to build the lucrative city of Caesarea and its crown jewel would be its 800 meter artificial port that would be home to all ships making their way from Rome to and fro the Granary Capitol of Alexandria.
This artificial port was built with advanced technology; Volcanic Ash from Italy.
According to one theory Herod poured the volcanic ash in to wooden boxes and then sunk them bellow sea level. Under the high pressure the ash solidified, allowing Herod to construct the dock above it. Other theories claim that the volcanic ash was used in only part of the box where as the rest was filled over time with sand and only then the construction was made. More theories are being thought of today which only makes the place more of an attraction.
Whats great about it is that you can DIVE IT! A diving center is situated at the southern edge of the dock where you can rent equipment for the day and check out the ruins for yourself.

However, I should warn you that it is best to dive in the early mornings and later afternoons since the tides could be felt and I myself made the mistake to dive and got, sea sick, or in other words, wanted to vomit my LIFE OUT. So, either take my advice or take dramamine, whichever, though worth while!!!!!!!!

Here is the dive sites link
When you are in a Roman city, bath like a Roman: Inside the neighborhood of Caesarea ( at your first right- follow the signs) is a beachfront where one can bath alongside a massive structure built between the 2-6th century; The Caesarian Aqueduct. Every Roman city needed to have access to water for their bath houses, fountains and sports. Since there were no faucets to control the amount of water being pumped and the ability to shut the water system off, cities needed a LOT of water. Though Caesarea was no ordinary city and so its aqueduct is constructed of 3 different levels.
The first, built in the 106 CE, called pipe A
In order to enhance the amount of water to the city Hadrian built in the 2nd century another longer pipe which is called pipe B
Due to erosion, some of pipe B was eroding and so during the Byzantine period a clay pipe was placed around it- today known as pipe C.
Along the structure latin inscriptions were carved, praising Hadrian and the 10th legion who helped construct it.
Since there is not much shade I advice one to there grab some shade under on of the aqueducts arches, or bring an Umbrella.

Like Birds? 200 meters after you make the left towards the aqueduct beach there is a sign pointing to the “ Bird Mosaic”. In the 1950′s an army’s para shooter troop held a training session on this hill and discovered this large mosaic carpet of 120 medallions each containing a bird. This “ carpet” belonged to a rich Byzantine family that lived in the area in the 6th century. Apparently not much has changed between then and now when referring to the neighborhoods slandered of living😊

Pack sunscreen and watermelon (the traditional Israeli summer fruit) and make a day of it


Advertisement



Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0422s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb