TEHRAN TO YAZD


Advertisement
Iran's flag
Middle East » Iran » South
March 2nd 2017
Published: March 5th 2017
Edit Blog Post

TEHRAN TO YAZD, MARCH 2, 2017

Today we are on our way out of Tehran to drive to Yazd. We are first going to stop at the National Archeological Museum. It is here that you really appreciate the history of Iran. Mr. Hadi guided us through the various civilizations that have inhabited Iran and their contributions to the culture. The artifacts on display were fascinating covering a period of about 5000 years. As the civilizations progressed the artifacts increased in complexity and new techniques were discovered. It was really fascinating. One of the most interesting displays was “salt man.” This is the head, complete with hair and beard, and the leg still in a boot, of a 20-30 year old man who was killed in a salt mine accident and was buried in the salt mine. His remains were found about 20 years ago. Carbon dating puts his age at about 2500 years old. It is amazing how well preserved his features were.

After the archeological museum we left the city for Yazd. This will be an all day trip. We are in a large air-conditioned bus with plenty of seats for the 12 of us. Mr. Hadi’s son Reza, is accompanying us. The countryside is very barren with upheavals of dense material with the mountains always on our right side. In some areas the plateau flattens out but usually it is irregular. Interestingly we ran into a little rain on the way. We made several “comfort” stops and one stop for lunch at a very large truck stop. I purchased some pastries there and some saffron. The food was OK and was hot. Then off again. We finally made it to Yazd at about 8:30pm. Our hotel, Moshir al Mamalek Garden Hotel, is very pretty with cozy little rooms. This is in the original caravanserie style with beautiful brickwork in the ceilings and many arches around the room. Mr. Hadi had called ahead and asked them to turn off all the radiators in our rooms so the room was nice and cool. A good nights sleep at last.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



8th March 2017

That drive looks like the Mojave desert or driving between PHX and TUS.

Tot: 0.226s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0598s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb