Iran, poledancing in Persepolis (XI)


Advertisement
Iran's flag
Middle East » Iran » South » Shiraz
May 7th 2007
Published: May 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

PersepolisPersepolisPersepolis

Darius' famous gate of nations
In 333 BCE, Alexander the Great (not Colin Farrell) and his Macedonian troops threw a classical-equivalent of a frat party in the Persian ceremonial city of Persepolis. After all, they had to celebrate their second victory over the mighty Persians! After one too many jolly drinks, an Attic gal by the name of Thais thought it a fantabulous idea to set fire to the city (revenge for the prior burning of Greek temples by the Persians). And so they did. But after the liquor snapped out of Alexander, he regretted it wholeheartedly. It was, after all such a splendid place.

Setting off from Shiraz, we visited the ruins of Persepolis. It covers a large block of land, and there are even two royal tombs built into the cliff face looking over the site - smokers, beware. the climb to those tombs are bloody steep but the panoramic sight is very much worth it! - there is a great deal to see, and the work of archaeologists deserves extra bonus points.

The ceremonial city was mostly used to celebrate the Persian New Year called 'Nouruz' (3/21), still a huge deal in Iran today. Darius the Great started its construction
PersepolisPersepolisPersepolis

Jumping over ropes. a security guard blew a whistle at me, telling me to get away from the relief. Just paying homage, darling.
in 518 BCE, and later kings continued to add their contribution to it until bloody Alexander destroyed it in a drunken rage. Sure, we all do stupid things when we're drunk, but burning Persepolis??? Checking out the remnants of the city, one can only wonder how beautiful it was once upon a time when 30m high columns stood supporting timber roofs and foreign subjects from Ethiopia to India congregated to pay homage. The scene still remains on a vast stone relief within the complex, and it is fascinating to see it as most of it is intact.

All right, so the old japanese ladies opened up their sun umbrellas to protect their white skin from the scorching sun and sat in the shade without exploring the sight. What a shame really, when there is so much to see. I think I climbed every possible hill there, just to see every angle of Persepolis.

Although the Arab invaders decided to deface the faces of sculptural deities and kings, much of it still provides an insight into the original grandeur. When I looked up at the tall columns and brilliant gates, my jaw dropped. Oh certainly I even forgot that
PersepolisPersepolisPersepolis

Persian horse! craving a cigarette
I was a nicotine fiend. To mark my visit, I did do a mimic pole-dance using one of the still-standing pillars standing in the Apadana Palace!!! Construction was started by Darius the Great, and finished by his son Xerxes by 500 BCE. (and i believe Xerxes was the crazy king who had the sea whipped a thousand lashes for destroying his navy with a storm). Photos of course, depict me as a teeny weeny insignificant molecule of a being compared to my pole. Oh well....memories are what counts.

The last Iranian Shah Mohammed Reza Pahlavi held an international celebratory event at Persepolis back in the 60s to commemorate the 2500th year of Persian history. Numerous foreign leaders and royals were invited, followed by a luxurious feast...while sadly poverty-stricken Iranians were starving to death.

Righty ho, but I do say, Persepolis is lovely sight to see. If you do have the opportunity, I urge you to visit...😉




Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

PersepolisPersepolis
Persepolis

Climbing up to the tomb of King Artaxerxes (wow, a mouthful of a name)
PersepolisPersepolis
Persepolis

the tomb of King Artaxerxes (certainly worth the 70 degree climb)
PersepolisPersepolis
Persepolis

panoramic view...
PersepolisPersepolis
Persepolis

foreign delagates paying homage
PersepolisPersepolis
Persepolis

foreign delagates paying homage
PersepolisPersepolis
Persepolis

foreign delagates paying homage, each step of the stairs are not all that steep because regalia and armour back in the day were so heavy!
PersepolisPersepolis
Persepolis

The throne room
PersepolisPersepolis
Persepolis

Ardana Palace
PersepolisPersepolis
Persepolis

Pretending to be a fountain sculpture


8th May 2007

Love the blogs
I love your blogs! I hope the political climate clears up, I would love to visit Iran for a few weeks one of these days. Your writing is superb and the pics are great too. I look forward to more posts!

Tot: 0.168s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 17; qc: 128; dbt: 0.1346s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb