Zanjan: Day Twenty Two


Advertisement
Iran's flag
Middle East » Iran » North » Zanjan
October 5th 2008
Published: November 2nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Wonder of wonders, we started the day with a lie in, OzBus standards, on behalf of the sick people who were growing fat in number. We were joking about draping the back of the bus in yellow and sealing it off for quarantine. Fortunately we didn't as the bacvk of the bus is the most fun place to sit: out of all the things I learnt at school I didn't think it was that one that would come in useful on an around the world trip but the world is a funny place.

Tabriz is a very funny place. We went to the bazaar, where we were the only women wearing any sort of colour whatsoever. We got some stares but nothing especially negative. The bazaar was interesting; much less touristy than the one in Istanbul and with less people trying to sell you things.

After leaving Tabriz we stopped in a village called Kandovan, which was just like Goreme, except not as good, spent a long time on a circular drive going to a restarant that totally wasn't worth it, had our first experience of bad vegetarian catering when the guide (who works with Western tourists all the time and should know better) told us to just pick the meat out of the stew. We didn't, because we have Kim as a tour leader. We ended up with more fried eggs, so I stole one of the unfinished bunch of grapes and a box of tissues as compensation. We had a new policy in Iran of stealing anthing complimentary that wasn't nailed down and then we only left it alone because none of us had a screwdriver handy.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0841s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb