3 PLACES WE VISITED ON HOLIDAY IN CYPRUS


Advertisement
Cyprus' flag
Middle East » Cyprus
January 27th 2015
Published: January 27th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Cyprus in is an alluring destination and even my friends and I could hardly resist its charm. We found the beaches particularly enticingwith the wide array of beach clubs we planned to party until we dropped. Since we were kids, we were so intrigued to go to Vegas, just to know why they say, “What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas”. Since our childhood dream never came to be, we planned to make Cyprus our Vegas. However, when we got to Cyprus, we decided to get the best of both worlds, get to see some sites and still stick to our plan. Here are the three places we visited when we were not on the dancing floor:


THE ANCIENT KOURION



I am personally not a historical buff and would have nothing to do with ancient places, however, my two friends forced me to go, and I did not regret. The site of Kourion near the town of Episkopi is an iconic archaeological site with some of vast Greco Roman Ruins. They are the most extensive in the world and I must say they are impressive, they consist of a number or ancient structures will well preserved mosaics. Some of the structures that raised my curiosity include the House of the Gladiators, the public baths and the Greco-Roman theatre.


THE TROODOS MOUNTAINS



Now I have a thing for mountains and for this one, I was the one dragging my friends to the Troodos Mountains . The Mountain Ranges are the largest in the island and are located right in the heart of Cyprus. This area is stunningly beautiful and away from the overdeveloped resorts, it is untouched and we experienced a different side of Cyprus. It offered us a relaxed atmosphere away from the bustling beachfront resorts. We explored many UNESCO World Heritage Sites in this area that included churches and monasteries. After exploring the area, we found a nice spot where we sat down and had a picnic surrounded by some of the most breathtaking sites in Cyprus and reminisced about the clubbing experiences we had in Aya Napa.


LOCAL TARVENAS



The best ways to remember a place is by tasting the local dishes and the place will stick to your mind. We had read about Cypriot cuisine and found that it was popular and very tasty, so we decided that we must try. We found a local person who guided us to some of the best local tarvenas away from the touristy areas. The tarvenas re located in the local villages such as Kathikas and Lanarka. In Kathikas, we had a taste of wild boar and wild fowl and in Lanarka; it is home to asparagus, lamb and many more mouthwatering Cypriot dishes. In addition, we did have coffee in one of the many coffee shops and enjoyed frappes, which is served during the long hot summer months.



Our trip to Cyprus was very successful, we had the best of both worlds exploring different places and partying as we had planned.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0214s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb