First week


Advertisement
Cyprus' flag
Middle East » Cyprus » Paphos
January 31st 2009
Published: January 31st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Well we've been here a week now and gradually getting our feet under the table.

At first we didn't really know where we lived. I know that's a strange thing to say, but we were driven out the first time by the Estate Agent, to this and another couple of properties.

So, not knowing the area we had to ask for directions and it took us until the third time to drive straight here, without making a wrong turn.

We both had a less than fully healthy week. The journey from Kos through Turkey, Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus, then in Cyprus was to say the least arduous. The ferry from Tasucu to Kyrenia (Girne) was very old and the pair of us picked up sore throats, which we attribute to the ferry.

So, we have had a slow week, although full. Monday, we arrived, Tuesday we looked at places, Wednesday, we signed the contract and Thursday we moved in. Not bad going.

The apartment is great and we both feel very lucky to have found it. It is brand new and fully furnished, hence us being able to move in straight away.

The Republic of Cyprus could be described as a building site, there has been an incredible amount development over the last thirty years, which is still continuing to date. There are a number of reasons, but of course the climate plays a large part. The historical British influence is another draw for those wishing to live here and there is a very large British expatriate community. In some respects it is a version of England. There is very little language issue, and for us, it could be argued that it is in some ways too much like home.

We live in a place called Konia, which is a small village, inland, on land slowly rising away from the coast. So although, we are actually, five kilometers from the coast, we can see the Sea.

That is by no means Estate Agent speak of a “sea view”, when you find yourself standing on the top of ladder, on one leg, looking out of the attic window and the wind blowing in the right direction, you can just see the sea out of the corner of your eye, but a real shimmering sea stretching away in front of us.

Pafos is the main town on the coast in front of us, along with Kato Pafos (Kato means lower), which are part of the same town, but have two separate identities. Pafos is the town centre with municipal buildings etc. Whereas Kato Pafos is the Port and tourist area. This has all the bars, restaurants, souvenir shops and hotels stretching away along the coast.

We were described as being out in the sticks, by someone we met, but for Pat and I we are closer to things than we were at home.

We have a large supermarket a few minutes down the road, with a McDonald's next door to it. A little further along a Debenham's, with a food hall and a Next.

Pafos airport is probably twenty minutes away. Larnaca airport around an hour or so at a guess.

The nearest town - Pafos - is ten minutes away. We are a short drive fro the main road going East, to the rest of the Island.

The apartment is in a new development known as Konia Villages. It is very much a work in progress. The particular section we are on is just finished, but there is building work going on all around us. We are on the North eastern corner of the current work. We can see other nearly finished blocks in front us, which are unoccupied.

We have met a British couple who live in the adjacent block. they have a Cypriot couple living above them, who we haven't seen. One other flat in that block is a holiday let and the other is empty.

In our block of four we are the only one's in occupation, so far.

I have mentioned about us being fully furnished, but to further explain, what it means for us is that everything was included in the rental, to the extent that we have nearly everything that we need to live and get by on a day to day basis.

So, our apartment is two bedroom, two bathroom, ground floor, with a garden.

You enter the apartment block and our front door is on the right. The layout is roughly as follows; when you go through the front door, you enter a big open plan room, the kitchen is to the left, leading to a small outside covered area. This outside area is at the North of the property and doesn't get the sun, but is ideal for the washing to dry. At the front door turning right is the living room, leading to a covered patio which is south facing, so gets the sun all day.

In this direction we look out onto the rest of the development and the communal outside swimming pool, with additional small kiddies paddling pool. Also a large central open space, which is due to be left as an open space, for the community. Currently used for storage by the builders.

Across from the front door is another door. leading left and right. To the right is the en suite bathroom with shower cubicle, then main bedroom, with large double bed. Back to the door and then the main bathroom, with shower over bath. Then the spare bedroom with two single beds.

The apartment has large built in wardrobes in both bedrooms, tall ceilings throughout, giving a spacious feel to the place and predominantly brand new Ikea furniture. Yes, there is an Ikea in Nicosia.

We are also very lucky, to have a none too small garden, which is a bonus.

At the moment it is bare earth, brought in by the builders for a finish. If any of you have bought a new property then you will have an idea of what I am talking about.

This particular soil is clay based, it is very sticky and very difficult to work. It sets like concrete in the summer. So, what usually happens is they put a membrane down and gravel on top. We are waiting for that to happen and then we can plant a few shrubs in selected spots and sort out some pots with flowers.

The Island has a serious drought problem and there is a severe water shortage. Even at this time of year, the water is turned off two or three times a week, so you have to be careful and having a garden similar to back home, is unrealistic, for so many reasons. We will however do what we can and hopefully make a nice space for us.

We have hundreds of questions about our future and what arrangements can now be made for our house in the UK, but the answers will now doubt sort themselves out over time.

Not far from us is an office which advertises UK removals so we went in and made general inquiries, they are British and were very helpful. It wasn't as expensive as we might have thought. So, the possibilities of moving some of our stuff to Cyprus is not unrealistic.

As I type this blog entry, it is late January, I am sitting on the patio, with just a pair of shorts and the sun is shining, at about 25°C. This is winter! Do you think I have any doubts about staying in this part of the world?

Anyway, we have begun to the explore the local area and we can usually find our way home now. We have visited some garden centres, to get an idea of the sort of stuff we may plant and of course, the cost.

We decided to pop to Pafos airport, just to familiarise ourselves where it was, and had just about the most pleasant experience I have ever had, at at an airport.

We arrived and it all looks new and shiny, there was a security guy standing in the road as we approached the terminal. I said that we were just visiting to find our way around, and waited for him to say something like, we shouldn't have bothered, but he said that was fine, and thanked me for visiting the airport!

The next guy waved us along towards the drop off area, and we said hello.

Then the next guy, pointed us to a parking space outside the terminal, we stopped and explained we were just visiting and he told us that we could park for free, for twenty minutes and gave us information about the airport and so on.

We drove away, but I was speechless, and Pat was almost in hysterics. Whoever did their customer care training needs a big pat on the back. It was an absolute pleasure and we very thoroughly welcomed.

With regards to utilities, we are waiting to hear about who is paying for the water, us or the owner, apparently it's about €10 per month. The developer has a generator going twenty four hours a day, for our power and we don't have to pay for it, yet! The British couple have been here since November, and haven't had to pay a cent. Once the development gets further along we get connected to the electricity and will have to pay. We have no idea how long that will be.

So, it's all been pretty good so far. Pat has been nesting and making the place gradually her own. Everything has been cleaned, washed or mopped by now.

The environment is full of dust, and it gets everywhere, it is now part of our everyday existence.

Pat is due to meet her Sister in La Tania, France for a weeks skiing soon, so having been so very near to each other for the last four month's, we shall be apart for a short while.

Pat's mum has been invited to come and see us and has already arranged her flight, she will be with us for two weeks in May. My parents are also making arrangements and should be here the first two weeks in June. Both of us are looking forward to their arrivals.

For now, we potter about and life settles down, in the longer term, we look forward to our first summer together in Cyprus.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.51s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.2579s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb