Republic of Ireland Day 10. Carrigaline.


Advertisement
Europe
September 11th 2017
Published: September 11th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Day 10. Carrigaline. 113km.
One of our better days, especially if you like wading birds. After a dull start we headed east with a marvellous tail wind for just about all day. We passed the graveyard of many of the people who died of starvation during the 1845-50 potato famine at Skibbereen before heading on to Leap where we had our first cafe stop for coffee and scones with a guy who was rather inebriated halfway through the morning. A right turn here took us along a very pleasant coast with colourful boats moored at Glandore. We headed upwards again and inland through Lissavard to Clonakilty for lunch of ham salad sandwiches from the Centra supermarket eaten in a small park in glorious sunshine. Andrew had a bottom bracket problem so he found a bicycle shop and bought a replacement. The mechanic was having a day off so Andrew borrowed his tools and replaced it himself in the shop. I think the shop was that if Mike Murphy an old cycling legend. Out of Clonakilty we took the R600 up the steep hill to Timoleague where there is beautiful a ruined abbey, which was founded by Cistercian monks in 1240 ad. After passing the old yellow and green telephone box we crossed the bridge and followed the coast along the muddy banks admiring the variety of wading birds such as, herons, egrets, curlews, black tailed godwits, black backed gulls, hooded crows and many more. Ballinspittle was passed through next and into Kinsale, which has a very nice harbour full of boats and its very own sailing club, but unfortunately, too many tourists, too many coaches and gridlock. We had yet another brew and Danish pastry here from another Centra supermarket in, yet again, more sun before heading north through Bellgooley and Riverstick on the R600. This was a mistake since it was not very wide and full of Cork bound traffic. Carrigaline is not very exotic but the hotel is good and serves nice food. Even if the Tai chicken curry did bring some colour and inflation too our lips. All in all a very good day in good weather with an ever changing landscape to keep us interested.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement






Tot: 0.038s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0201s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb