The travels of Fugly the Hymer


Advertisement
Europe
August 27th 2016
Published: August 27th 2016
Edit Blog Post

We are Michelle and Nick and have set up this page to chart the travels of Fugly the 4x4 Hymer MLT-580.

Having purchased Fugly in July 2016 we made three local (test) trips before heading overseas, following the footsteps of our beloved VW race van, which we used to travel across Europe and follow our passion for Formula 1 (that is, when we aren't working to fund that passion!).

Sticking with this theme two of our test trips were to Silverstone - the first to the British Grand Prix; and the second to the Silverstone Classic, whilst the other was to the end of our garden - where we were joined for drinks (just a few.. hick...) by our neighbours.

The test trips resulted in some changes to the van before heading out to Europe. These included dying the leather seating grey (from cream). Why cream is the only colour you can choose is beyond us - the seating looked grubby after just one trip in black jeans! We also changed the bed configuration from twin to transverse double 😊... We think that Hymer caters for the older clientele...

The 'big day' finally arrived on Wednesday as we set out on the first leg of our journey from home to Newhaven, fully laden with, amongst other things, our Honda VFR 800 motorbike, complete with panniers; our 11ft Portabote; two bicycles; a bbq and enough food to feed an army.

We set sail from Newhaven on the 11.30pm ferry, checking into our cabin on arrival and disembarked in Dieppe at 5am on Thursday morning. We arrived in Spa at 10.00am and checked into our first stop (GP yellow camping Ster FC), which would have been ok had it been signposted and we weren't forced to camp in a gravel car park - which, quite frankly, did nothing to test the 4x4 capability of the vehicle! We have camped at many F1 campsites and, honestly, this one was lifeless! On the plus side the weather was great and we were fortunate to be meeting up with friends (who were staying at Elephant camping in Ster). We are heading there for a BBQ shortly - so a review will follow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.225s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0399s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb