Barcelona at last!


Advertisement
Europe
September 15th 2006
Published: September 15th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hi All - I´m taking the wheel again here (Jess)

So I think we left off in Granada about to go and see the Alhambra.

We set out from the hostal at about 9 in the morning to drop out stuff off at the train station so we didn´t have to worry about it when we were leaving - turned out to be a smart idea!
We arrived at the Alhambra around 11(ish) and found a huge line up waiting to by tickets already. So once we figured out which was the right line we waited. About 20-30 minutes into the line it was announced that the morning viewing was sold out and they were now selling tickets for the afternoon. i believe the Alhambra regulated by the government as to how many people can go in a day (I think). By the time we were relatively close to the front of the line they started the afternoon viewing countdown (250 tickets.....230tickets....200 tickets....etc) - which started to make me antsy! Cathy was very reassuring that there were not that many people in front of us (she repeated it many times to calm me down) and was right. Our tickets allowed us entrance into the palace at 6:30pm - so we went back down into Granada and took the city bus tour - was very interesting, and it only rained on us once (it was an open air bus tour).
Around 4 we headed back up to see the Alhambra - we toured the Generalife (summer home) with incredible views of the city, the Alcazar (?), which is like the watch tower and you could see so far past Granada it was amazing! and finally the Palace it self. Everything was so elaborate and detailed and every window had such a breathtaking view - we hope all of the pictures that we took will do it justice.
Around 8pm we headed back down to the train station to catch our night train to Barcelona. We stayed in a room with 4 little beds that were actually very comfortable for sleeping and actually went down and had a drink in the club car.
At 9:30 in the morning (when we should have arrived in Barcelona) we were informed that we were getting on a bus for a short ride from this train station (somewhere) into Barcelona. We thought it would be a short ride - but it turned out to be a 3 hour trip, ug! It was raining when we arrived, but it cleared out nicely a little later on - just in time for shopping!
Cathy found a great hostel here - we are staying just a few streets off of La Rambla, which will be hard on my credit card I am sure! But today we are heading out to Figueres to see the Dali Museum, and we are very excited!!
Until next time.... 😊

Advertisement



15th September 2006

It's cold in Calgary
You girls are making me very jealous. That Granada open-air bus tour sounded like a great way to see the city. Thanks for keeping the blogs up to date.
18th September 2006

Missing the snow yet???
Well I am positively sure that you two are missing the snow here in Calgary...the beautiful weather, ancient marvels and history are nothing compared to the wet snow and cold winds we are having here. Cathy I missed having you at the football game on Friday but I managed to have a few cold ones for you:) I can't wait to hear about all the shopping. Well just wanted to say hi and that we miss you over here and are glad to hear that everyone is so lovely over there and that you are getting to see such amazing things. There will be a quiz when you get back:) Have a great day. Luv Heather

Tot: 0.264s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0553s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb