Travel Day


Advertisement
Europe
April 17th 2013
Published: April 18th 2013
Edit Blog Post

The day started early, very early. In truth we really didn't even go to bed the night before. I was finishing up work and we packed until 2:30 in the morning. We got about 2 hours of sleep before getting up at 4 and getting ready to go. The cab arrived at 4:30 and we were at the airport by 5 am. Our plane left at 7:52 am direct flight to Washington DC Dulles.

We arrived earlier than normal anticipating longer lines and higher security do to the events at the Boston Marathon. The lines were long but they moved quickly. We ended up having a couple about 90 minutes to kill before our plane took off. The first leg was 5 hours, fortunately we both slept through most of it. Economy sucks and it isn't the leg room its more that then seats are hard and your butt is in a lot of pain by the end of 5 hours.

We had a quick 30 minute transfer at Dulles to our flight to Paris. Still economy but at exit windows and bulkhead, meaning lots of leg room and more comfortable seats. This section was a 7 hour overnight flight. Didn't sleep much, but did get some free wine as the credit card machine didn't work so they couldn't charge us for it. We were in the firs row behind business class so we got to see how well they are treated as opposed to those of us in cattle call section.

Both flights were uneventful, which means not much turbulance so I didn't have a panic attack. When we arrived in Paris, we sailed through imigration, our bags were the first ones off the plane and in less than 30 minutes from landing we were on the RER headed towards Paris. It was a bit interesting lugging our suitcases through the various metro and RER stations, but we did so with out much problem, well except the one metro stop we had to walk up an esclator. You have know idea how hard it is to walk up an esclator that is not moving, especially with large suitcases.

by 8:30 am we were in a cafe having our first cafe ole and Croissant. Of course it is now the 18th as I write this so this is our first full day In Paris. We checked in to the apartment. Very nice, small but for the price you cannot beat it (pictures to follow next entry). We just finished unpacking and getting ready to shower and head out to do some shopping for staples for the week. Pretty low key day as recovering from jet lag and we can't lay down or we will fall asleep.

Next entry, more on the apartment and of course the first food entry, dinner

Advertisement



Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0454s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb