London, ENG - Olympics Day #3


Advertisement
Europe
August 2nd 2012
Published: August 4th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Up early again this morning (we wish we had an extra day to sleep – sadly the Olympics don’t pause for us to rest). Straight out the door this morning to Gordon Ramsay’s Bread Street Kitchen. Breakfast is not as big of a deal over here, especially in Europe. We realized as we sat down that neither of us had eaten an egg since we left home.

The restaurant is absolutely massive! It has unique décor and is very clean as well as an open kitchen format which is cool because you can see the chefs at work. We were really pleased to enjoy not only a fresh baked pastry basket, but eggs with our breakfast accompanied by the most tasty breakfast sausage you can imagine! The juice was fresh squeezed and it was definitely the most memorable breakfast we have had together.

After Mr. Ramsay ensured we had full bellies, we were off to Wimbledon for a day of Tennis. We were not sure what to expect from these tickets. To be honest, we only paid $20 British Pounds each for General Admission Passes (or Grounds Passes). As some people may not know, the facility is MASSIVE, with a total of 19 courts, including Court 1 (stadium court) and Centre Court which is a stadium with a new retractable roof. We were not able to access Court 1 or Centre Court, but we did have access to all of the practice and competition courts. Including Court 2, which in Canada would be the largest tennis stadium in the country. It seats just under 2,000 people and we parked ourselves there all day.

Not to be disappointed either, we were treated to Men’s Doubles, Mixed Doubles, Women’s Singles and the real treat of the day Women’s Doubles…why? We got to watch the William’s sisters wipe the floor with a doubles team ranked #2 in the world from Italy. We should also mention we got to watch the US’s Bryan brothers who were awesome as well. If we were filling out a survey and the question was ‘best value for money’…the tickets to today takes the cake and then some. To watch tennis stars that both of us feel we have grown up with and watched for nearly a decade on television compete at the Olympic Games was incredible – to do it at Wimbledon…it just doesn’t get any better than that!

Once back at our local subway station, we decided to spontaneously visit the House of Nations. Many of you would have heard of Canada House or Casa Italia (the home hang out, drinking, dancing spot for that particular country), think of the House of Nations as the United Nations of those clubs/bars. We grabbed a bucket of beer from Japan and watched on a jumbo television the conclusion of the day’s swimming finals and then the US basketball team crush the Nigerian team. Just when we though the day couldn’t get any better…the Olympic Torch made an appearance and we got to hold it and get our photos taken. A completely dream-like day!

Back to the hostel and our trusty bunk beds (note to concerned parents – we have to pass 3 security check points to get into our hostel) for some sleep…

Night,

Kristy & Will


Additional photos below
Photos: 65, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



4th August 2012

WOW
All I can say is WOW! The Williams sisters. Love to watch them play. Would love the House of Nations:) And the tourch. How cool is that:)

Tot: 0.283s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0513s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb