London, ENG - Olympics Day #2


Advertisement
Europe
August 1st 2012
Published: August 1st 2012
Edit Blog Post

Olympic Day #2 in London turned out to be one of our longest on the trip so far. From start to finish it was non-stop adventure and action. We got up early and navigated our way through Central London traffic until we were on the outskirts on the City, about 150km southwest to the historic site of Stonehenge.

The site outside of the iconic stones is actually quite massive; however most only associate Stonehenge with the stone circular monument. Truth be told, it is the smallest part. While the true reason behind what Stonehenge is and why it is there remains unknown – the site around it was unquestionably a village or settlement. Many believe Stonehenge was used as a place to worship the sun (Gods) and perhaps even to bury the dead. The stones themselves in person are actually much smaller than we had anticipated (still very big, but just not as big as you think). The engineering though to get them in position is mindboggling when you think how old the stones are. You can even see little notches in the top of the vertical stones that were used to connect the horizontal stones and keep them in place. The entire experience is very mysterious – visiting such a famous place, but for what, no one really knows!

After the early morning visit, we headed back towards London to Painshill Park just on the southwest border. From there we staked out a great stop on a guard rail (‘crash barrier’ if you are British) in order to watch the Women’s and Men’s Cycling Time Trail.

We had an opportunity to watch the only Olympian ever to medal in both a winter and summer Olympics, our very own, Clara Hughes as well as many of the big names from the Tour de France. The unique thing about the Time Trail is you get to see each and every rider individually – and you know they are coming (so you can pay close attention for your favourite)…quite a different experience from trying to pick them out of massive pelotons moving by you at 60km/h. The highlight of the day was getting watch and take part in the historic ride of Bradley Wiggins to a Gold Medal for his home country. Some might say – ‘how do you top a Tour de France win’ or ‘how to you top already winning multiple Olympic medals in your career’…Bradley’s answer was to head to the Olympics in his home Country, two weeks after the Tour and win the Olympic Gold Medal while becoming the most decorated (medal total) British Olympian of all time…as the British would say…absolutely stunning!

Following the completion of the cycling, we made our way into the Heart of London and did some sight-seeing. We were lucky enough to take a river cruise, visit Big Ben and the Parliament Buildings, walk across Tower Bridge, experience the outside of Westminster Abby as the sun set (and met a couple from Elmvale…seriously small world) and then over to Buckingham Palace to snap some photos and say good night to the Queen!

An awesome day to say the least…sleep needed for the morning in a major way. Off to visit the most famous Tennis Facility in the World…all day Tennis at Wimbledon after breakfast at Gordon Ramsay’s Bread Street Kitchen.

Sleep well,

Kristy & Will


Additional photos below
Photos: 96, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



2nd August 2012

Olympics
So good to see the rowing team win silver. Have to be impresssed with Michael Phelps and his 19 medals. Glad you were there to cheer on Clara Hughes. Bet that Aquatic Centre was something else. Love your picture of the race. Sleep well. Have fun on day three. xoxo
2nd August 2012

Super jealous!
Glad to hear that, aside from technology malfunctions, you're having a fantastic time!
4th August 2012

WOW
What a day! Missed you. Glad to read more of your adventures. Your words are so good it is like being there! Sleep well. Aunt Kim xoxo

Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 6; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0449s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb