Day One... 2012


Advertisement
Europe
January 1st 2012
Published: January 1st 2012
Edit Blog Post

In spite of the New Years Eve party at our hotel going on until 3 am, it was delightful to wake up to picture perfect blue sky's, glistening waters in the canals, and peaceful quietness in the air. Casually walking through empty streets we made our way back to St Mark's Square only to find it still full with people, although much more manageable than last night. Weaving through the crowd we crossed over the square to the Grand Canal to find a sunny place for lunch (this the only place on Venice where the sun hits the streets) we found ourselves a little table at a waterfront restaurant ordered a bottle of wine and pizza and relaxed as we watched gondolas, cruise ships, water taxis, and foot traffic meander by as the sun warmed our faces. We enjoyed the sights and sounds of Venice. As the fog rolled in we hopped onto the water bus and enjoyed a breath taking ride back to our hotel. After relaxing back at our hotel over wine and cheese we decided to venture for a few last min items and our dinner destination being the gourmet restaurant from last night for another fabulous meal. We called the evening short to prepare for our departure tomorrow to Rome. We found Veniza to be as magical as our first visit 5 years ago. Fascinated with the marble and stone on every bridge, random pilers holding buildings and sidewalks up, delightful people, dog loving (there are almost as many dogs as local people, well mannered and groomed, dressed in matching outfits with their owners - sweaters, coats, and yes boots, allowed in resturants, hotels, trains, and buses), picturesque views around every corner made for three unforgettable days.Tomorrow will bring another day of navigating the Italian rail system and on to the historical city of Rome.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.247s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0399s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb