City on water


Advertisement
Europe
August 27th 2011
Published: August 28th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We departed our hotel early to visit Venice, the city on water. Our tour started with a glass blowing demonstration by the master of Murano Glass followed by some hard selling.

The remainder of the day was left to ourselves to explore this wonderful and interesting city. We walked to St Mark's Square (not nearly as many pigeons as last time round) and entered St Mark's Basilica. It is very decorative with it's beautiful mosaics. However, it is sad to note that water is slowly creeping into areas of the ground floor with evidence of water ponding.

We meandered along many alleyways admiring the jostling gondolas in the canals, vibrant Venetian masks and jewelry and occasionally indulging in a gelato or two.

Alan (as usual) managed to stumble across a pub where he watched the Wallabies beat the All Blacks (yay!).

As we were walking, we came across an Italian bride hyperventilating as she was about to enter the church. We decided to follow her and gate crash the wedding along with other tourists.

Thereafter, we continued to explore Venice before meeting our tour group. We said good bye to this beautiful and headed back to the hotel.









Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.326s; Tpl: 0.026s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0603s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb