Day Six: The day of Chateaus


Advertisement
Europe
October 9th 2009
Published: October 9th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Entrance to ChenonceauEntrance to ChenonceauEntrance to Chenonceau

Tree lined entrance to Chenonceau.
Day Six….A day of Chateaus

We were able to see three great Chateaus today and all were totally different. Gail of course had some tense moments while I was driving through the country side and small towns.

The first of the trio was Chateau de Chenonceau, which is right next door to our hotel. It is fantastic and was built around the 16th century and filled with many fantastic works of art. We really enjoyed the Chateau, but will not bore you with details (see the pix).

The second was the Estate of Chambord. The Chateau was begun in 1515 and finally finished in the 1700’s. It is one of the largest in France and the one thought I brought away was “If one is concerned about the completion of things one will never begin”.

The last, Chateau Cheverney, which believe it or not is still lived in today and is a hunting lodge that is used for hunting on a regular basis. We saw the dogs and pix of the Viscount and his family. He was married in 1994, his first daughter was born in 1995, and second in 1998 and last his son in 2001.
Walking to Chenonceau!Walking to Chenonceau!Walking to Chenonceau!

This chateau was in walking distance of the hotel.


Cheers for now and Paris tomorrow... where we say goodbye to the car!



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Chateau de ChenonceauChateau de Chenonceau
Chateau de Chenonceau

This place was unbelievable.
Toilette!Toilette!
Toilette!

Larry found every bathroom.
The maze.The maze.
The maze.

With Larry's sense of direction, I almost lost him.
ChambordChambord
Chambord

The largest chateau in Framce; it has 400 rooms.
A man is working on the top!A man is working on the top!
A man is working on the top!

Could not believe this man was working on the top of the chateau.
Dogs at Cheverny.Dogs at Cheverny.
Dogs at Cheverny.

Hunting dogs at Cheveny. The Viscount and his family live on the top floor. He hunts often.
Chenverny.Chenverny.
Chenverny.

Can you believe that someone lives here!
Knight in Shinning Armor.Knight in Shinning Armor.
Knight in Shinning Armor.

Thought Max would like this picture. Look at all the swords.


12th October 2009

Visit to the Chateaus
The tree lined road is a fantastic picture - it appears that the road goes on forever. How do you furnish every room... and the heating bills. Love the pictures of all of the dogs with their"V" identifier - yes that would be a hound!

Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0297s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb