When in Rome


Advertisement
Europe
September 9th 2009
Published: September 9th 2009
Edit Blog Post

ah ive been waiting to say that...

So i left you at the beginning of Venice. What to tell you? We headed in to the maze to enjoy a day of getting lost and finding cool little buidlings then getting lost again. But alas we saw St Marks Square. The Rialto Bridge and a lot of cool buildings. Im not really sure of what to write here as i have had a rather busy week since. We spent another day in Venice and just chilled out really. Sat by the canals walked around looking at all the beautiful masks. oh we had gelati. I had Chocolate. Choc mint and Caramel. Very yumm!! second day i had chocolate, choc chip and caramel. yumm again!! So deelish. Im loving all the pizza here 😊
Our bus trip from Venice to Rome was rather uneventful. I finished my book "The memory keepers Daughter" which was rather good. We also watched a movie "Killing me softly" with Heather Graham which was a rather weird movie. Theyre supposed to be destination specific and we were supposed to watch Gladiator but someone screwed the DVDs up so 😞

Well now i can say when in Rome do as the Romans do... which im not sure entirely what they do but im sure it is along the lines of what weve been doing. eating pasta. walking ALOT eating lots of gelati and seeeing lots of Ruins.
We decided as our introduction to Rome we would start with Vatican City. So we caught the 11am shuttle from our camp and arrived in good time but when walking to the end of the line it curved around the corner and another corner.. the line was literally 2 km long but it was fast moving so that was handy! Once in we started at the beginning and proceeded through. Seeing a lot of statues. Very extravagant ceilings and some cool maps and tapestries. And then the pizza resistance... the Sistene Chapel. Which i must admit looked completely different in my mind. For one it wasnt dome like but rectangular and the classic painting with the two men reaching out was as easy to find as i thought it would be. No cameras allowed so i have no proof that ive been but that you just have to beleive. Next stop St Peters Basilica and the square where a shit load of people must have to stand to fill it when the pope speaks. Ah we were all excited to enter and see the popes quaters BUT i was stopped at the entrance and turned away because my shorts were too short and by that i mean they didnt cover my knees! 😞 maybe next time.



ROME day 2
Second day in the great city. On the Itinerary: Coloseum...
It wasnt hard to find. We hopped off the metro and walked onto the street and BAM there it was! In all its former glory. Again the line for tickets was about 45 minutes but again its worth the wait! Had a wander. Channelled my inner Russel Crowe. Did you know they fought crocs, lions, panthers, tigers and HIPPOS! 😊 i found this rather amusing! After Coloseum we looked around all the ruins surrounding it and some current archaelogical dig sites. Its all alot to take in but its all very interesting and i am loving all the colours and buildings of Rome. That took most of the day then we walked around a little and headed back to the camp.



ROME day 3
Today: Pantheon, Fontana de trevi, and the spanish steps.
Did you know the Pantheon was built in 52BC and is the best kept ancient ruin from its time. It is still pretty much in tact on the outside. It was very impreesive. The great thing about Rome is that all these treasures are in amongst the modern day city. Just wandering around and WOah there you are! I have been been allocated the position of map reader as it seems i am the only one who can actually read maps! After the Pantheon we had our first Italian hot chocolates. YUM! very thick and dark but delicious.
Next to the Trevi Foutain. Again just amongst your everyday shops and buildings. It was grand! I had all my photos and flicked my coins in. One for luck and two to come back to Rome one day. Along with my wishes but those i cannot tell!
Then we searched for the Spanish steps. i directed them to what i was told were the Spanish steps but we got there and realised that we bypassed the steps at the beginning. The first thing we saw and we just walked right on by!
pantheonpantheonpantheon

sorry for the sidewards photos but what can you do!
So we headed back. Got our Gelati and sat on the Spanish Setps. Very Audrey Hepburn!
That brings us to now. Sitting on the interent in a stuffy room writing about my Roman holiday and uploading pictures.

Lots of love xxx.



added on the 10-9-09

i seem to have free internet at the moment as my timer is staying on the 30 minute timer. So i thought id make some use out of it and add on our final roman day.
Seeing as we had done all the main touristy things in our first three days we just wandered around. Roamed the streets of Rome. There were a few squares and things we saw. purely a square surrounded by buildings with some fountains in the middle. still very beautiful.
I do believe i am running on empty most days. Breakfast fills the tank to about half but by 3pm i am buggered. im thinking how long i will last on this no meat diet. Well no big juicy steak meat kind of diet. We had chicken on sandwiches the other day. But that hardly counts for anything.

Other general chit chat... not much really. Off
roman buildings\roman buildings\roman buildings\

loving the colours and archetecture!
to Sienna tomorrow but only for 2 nights so one full day. Then Florence.

I am fearful however that i have packed the wrong wardrobe. Yes it has been hot and i have had a lot of wear out of my deni shorts and t shirts but as we are not in the south for much longer i fear my single pair of jeans and 2 jumpers will get a lot of wear. Unless i pull my stingy ass into line and buy a new pair of jeans or pants. we shall see.. i think im pretty much on budget, but thats because i havent strayed from only paying for accomodation and food. with a few entries here and there.

I am loving the trip but missing some creature comforts like a good hearty home cooked meal. Or a shower where you can step out and actually dry with a good towel as opposed to the tiny little travel towel i have. Also the ability to sleep on a bed where the springs dont stick into ones back when you sleep. but apart from that alls good.

Its hard to beleive ive already been gone a month. well almost. only 2 and a half to go. im sure it will fly by.
Until then. keep an eye on this page - or not- depending if you want to follow my travels.. that is all for now. and woopy i still have 30 minutes of internet left. HOW COOL.. ill try to make the most of it



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

making my wish making my wish
making my wish

i found how to rotate :)


10th September 2009

Checking in
Brilliant!!! How's your Italian? Sending through lots of hugs and kisses. Mum xoxoxox
11th September 2009

Hello Romans
Absolutley love the pics, somehow it makes it all so much more real. Keep up the good work, I am enjoying your travel diary immensley (no spell checker on here) With lots of love A. Lynne xoxox

Tot: 0.341s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0646s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb