O-Zone singers.... Speed Boats... and Parties on the lake


Advertisement
Europe
August 8th 2009
Published: August 8th 2009
Edit Blog Post

So while fiona was deliberately trying to detain herself in a soviet republic state I successfully slept off my hangover and planned the rest of our onward travels before popping to the local supermarket for food. After copious faffing in the hostel I wanderd to the archiologie museum only to find it was randomly closed on that day. So i sat in the minimal sunshine with a drink and wandered back to meet the others after their somewhat more adventurous and from what i understand stressful trip.

The 4 of us then grabbed a taxi to FC Zimbru football stadium (the only international regulation stadium in Moldova). They were playing against FC Dacia - both local Chisinau teams so we had in fact put ourselves in the middle of a local derby - trouble i hear you cry?!?! no not here. There were barely 1000 supporters. Probably about 15 in the away seats altho they did try to show their support as loudly as the home team. Tickets, i will add, cost less than 1 pound each - wouldnt get that in England eh?!?
Not the highest quality of football on display (and for me and fiona to notice this it really must have been bad!) however there was a reasonable atmosphere and it provided entertainment for a couple of hours, particularly with the recreation of a Danny Dyer style football factory clip.
After a few failed attempts at hailing a cab we eventually succeeded in getting back to the hostel for a quick change before leaving the dutch guys to find their accomodation (they had arranged to stay elsewhere however as you will see later this was also not to be the case) and we got some food in a slightly fancy restaurant (probably costing all of twelve pounds for wine and meals!).

This is where it gets interesting.... we stood up to leave and were waved over by a rather pretentious looking group, who were having an engagement party. So we stopped over to be polite and make conversation to be met by one of the ozone members!!!!!!!!! For those who don't know who o-zone are, and I find this hard to believe, here is their worldwide hit:

Dragostea Din Tei

To be frank, we were in awe. The lead singer of o-zone, amazing. Im convinced this must spark much jealousy. If not, then I don't know what's wrong with you...

After a few drinks with the most nouveau riche Moldovans in town, we headed off with them to the biggest lake in Moldova where there is a club. To get to the club, we took their speedboat... yes, their speedboat. It was a rather insane night. The club was pounding away in the distance and we disembarked to a party hosted by some Russian DJs. It was pretty good, but required a few more people, it would seem not everyone has a speedboat to go to such parties what with Moldova being the poorest country in Europe and all that.

We then took the speedboat back to the other side of the lake and drank Champagne while the sun came up (honestly we're not making this up). Shortly afterwards we headed back to the hostel by taxi, slightly confused as to the whole debacle and the o-zone malarky, and went to bed....

To complete the story - the dutch guys' disaster... We woke up this morning to a story and a half... While finding their accommodation, they were running away from a pack of stray dogs... Christiaan jumped up onto a fence, without realising there were spikes on top - so now he has holes in his hand, leg and foot... disaster - so for once it wasn't me who ended up in hospital! hoorah!! However nurse fiona and dr vicky came into their own and did what seemed like a better job than the hospital at first aid and bandaging, (even if i say so myself). Deary me... but they're still heading off to Budapest to go to Sziget festival... I don't even want to know.



Advertisement



8th August 2009

Dammit, I think you just beat the shisha cave in Bosnia!

Tot: 0.195s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 38; dbt: 0.0419s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb