Rome, Italy


Advertisement
Europe
July 25th 2009
Published: August 17th 2009
Edit Blog Post

July 25: Roma in a Day!


Sure, it may note have been built in one day, but we got to see it in one. Actually, we went to Vatican City and viewed the Sistine Chapel with 300 of our closest friends. Sadly, our guide informed us that just this week the head of the security guard in the Chapel was terminated, so there was no proper control of the large crowd in the Chapel. The signs for silence and no photography were blatantly ignored. We found our own inner peace and still enjoyed the amazing frescoes, anyway. We were lucky enough to have a guide that also was an archaeologist at the Vatican excavating 29 meters below St Peter's Basilica, so we had a highly informed perspective about the Vatican from the religious to the architectural.

We then took in the Coliseum and appreciated a 1st century structure of such significant magnitude that it leaves you speechless. Sure, it's no pyramid, but the pyramids didn't seat 50,000 people for gladiator fights! As can be expected - it was a whirlwind tour with just a taste for all that e will need to come to fully appreciate.


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Mary and JesusMary and Jesus
Mary and Jesus

St Peter's Basilica
Marble SculptureMarble Sculpture
Marble Sculpture

In St. Peter's
Famous FountainFamous Fountain
Famous Fountain

of course I can't remember what it's called right now...
AngelAngel
Angel

...with the black umbrella


Tot: 0.291s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0503s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb