European airport security regulations since Nov. 2006: what you need to know when flying from the EU.


Advertisement
Europe
March 17th 2007
Published: March 18th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


European airport security regulations since Nov. 2006: what you need to know when flying from the EU.

The article is published by me on: Amsterdam Hostels

Dear All,

Since Nov. 2006, the EU accepted a new aviation security measurements against liquids explosives. As a direct attempt of terrorists to attack UK airlines earlier this year, the UE decided to adopt severe regulations. I added below a short article from DW-World that describe the new situation very well and I advise all of you to read it.

The reason I am writing this blog is mostly since theses regulations are heavily affecting all of us and causing serious airports delays.

Here are some tips and advises how to deal with the new regulations:

1. Forget about coming last minute to a flight, even if it is a local European one. Check in counters are locking their PCs about 25 minutes before takeoff. This is the minor problem. The major one is that there are incredibly long lines to the security check and it is simply isn’t worth taking any chances, soon enough airlines will lose their patience and you will, stay on ground. Even if you arrived on time to the check in, it is not good enough; you have to be very early for the security check taking place right after passport control or next to the gate. So, be as early as you can at the security check.

2. They allow you to take one handbag only. They are not kidding nor they are flexible. The major problem is with laptops we are working on it to make them getting used to the idea that a laptop is a necessity in addition to one hand bag. Be ready anyway to place that laptop into your one hand bag if they insist.

3. Take a suitcase with you even if you are not sure you need it. You will need to place all liquids there anyway. If you exceed the limited amount of liquids they simply confiscate it. Trust me on this one, they confiscate tons every day.

4. Pack at home in a way that all liquids are in a suitable plastic bag in advance. It is easier to pass security check.

5. Try not to carry all these metal things on you and that including heavy buckles, pens, coins, cell phones etc. place most of it in the hand bag.

6. Try to be organized and pass the check at your first try otherwise two thing happen: 1. they let you pass again and will search you manually. 2. You just made about a hindered nervous people behind you wait longer.

A lady I know said lately that if it wasn’t for airport security, she would not have sex life at all :-) anyway, I wish all of you a safe flight. One day we will get even with these terrorists…

Here is the DW-WORLD.DE Q & A:

The EU's new airport security rules regarding hand baggage and liquids came into force Monday. DW-WORLD.DE answers some of the most pressing questions passengers could be asking.
The EU introduced strict new security measures on hand baggage across European airports Monday, restricting the amount of liquids passengers can bring with them on board planes. The rules take effect as of Monday at all airports within the 25-nation EU and in Norway, Iceland and Switzerland.

The new regulations will limit passengers to carrying no more than 100 milliliters (a fifth of a pint) of liquid per container. All such containers should fit into a clear re-sealable plastic bag to be presented at security checkpoints.

All liquids will be subject to security checks prior to boarding planes and include not only water and soft drinks, but also soups, creams, lotions, oils, perfumes, sprays, gels, toothpaste and shaving cream.

The new rules do not affect liquids packed in checked luggage or drinks and perfumes bought at airport shops after passengers clear security.

Baby foods and medicines are also exempt, but can be subject to inspection, officials said.

The EU agreed to tighten airport security measures after British authorities said in August they had broken up a terrorist plot to bring down US-bound flights with liquid-based explosives.

Here DW-WORLD.DE presents a list of possible questions aircraft passengers may be asking themselves in regard to the new EU security measures regarding baggage and liquids on flights.

When and on which flights do the new rules apply?

The new regulations come into force and are applied from November 6, 2006 on all flights which start in the EU as well as those in Switzerland, Norway and Iceland, regardless of the flight destination or the nationality of airline. They also apply to all passengers who change flights at any airport in the EU.

What do the new regulations state?

Those not adhering to the rules will lose their liquids
The new EU security guidelines say that passengers should only carry liquid in 100ml containers on board and that the total amount of liquid should not exceed a liter. All liquid containers should be carried in a transparent plastic bag. The regulations only apply to liquid in hand luggage. Bottles of liquid can be packed normally in suitcases that are checked in.

What liquids are being regulated?

Pretty much everything. The new EU rules don't only apply to drinks and perfumes but also liquids and gels in various forms such as shaving-foam, sprays, shampoos, liquid soaps, sun lotions, oils, creams, deodorants, lip-gloss and toothpastes.

So is water being regulated?

Yes, since water cannot be differentiated quickly and positively from other liquids at points of control. After the check point, passengers can buy water at the duty free shops and on-board catering services.

Why do the new regulations apply to the liquids mentioned?

Because explosives can be manufactured in pure liquid and gel form.

Are there any exceptions in the regulations concerning liquids?

Exceptions have been made for baby food, milk or juice for travelers with babies or infants. Medicines or insulin and juices for diabetics may also be brought on board without restriction and do not need to be carried in plastic bags. Passengers must declare the liquids they intend to carry on board in these cases.

Officials will be able to search the plastic bags
There are still controls in place however. As a precautionary measure, inspection personnel who have doubts may ask passengers to prove what is carried is an appropriate medicine or necessary substance for the flight. Therefore it is wise to bring a medical certificate or appropriate documents of identification with you.

How should the plastic bags look?

Passengers can use any bag which is transparent and lockable. Simple plastic bags, which are secured with a rubber band, are not permitted. The bag may not exceed the capacity of a liter. A locking device or zip on the bag to reduce the possibility of spillage is required. Only one bag is permitted to each aircraft passenger.

Where do I get the plastic bags?

Standard lockable freezer bags from a supermarket are the best example. They cost approximately 10cent per bag in Europe. Many airports will make plastic bags with zippers available from Monday. Specially manufactured bags for the carrying of liquids on flights are likely to appear in high street and airport shops in the future.

Can I still buy perfumes or alcohol in the Duty Free Shop?

Items that don't fit the profile will be confiscated
Yes. All Duty Free products, which are bought after the safety check, may be brought on board. Perfumes or alcohol should be sealed however by the shops in "manipulation-proof bags," which may not be opened before the flight. Otherwise the goods could be seized at the last control check or point of transfer. A receipt must be kept with the item and only items bought on the day of travel will be admitted.

What happens with Duty Free articles, which are bought in a non-EU country?

If you land with Duty Free articles from a non-EU country in Germany and if your journey continues on another flight, there may be problems at the security check. Alcohol or perfumes would have to be left at the control point.

How will security checks be run in the future?

Bags with containers of liquids will be presented separately from hand luggage at control points. It will be at the discretion of the officials whether the liquids will be opened or x-rayed. As before, coats will have to be removed, laptops switched on and, in the United Kingdom, shoes will be removed and passed through the x-ray machine.

Do passengers face even longer waiting times?

Passengers can expect long delays -- but not this long
The airports are expecting longer control times. Travelers should arrive promptly and be patient. The German Federal Ministry of the Interior advises that passengers pack all non-essential liquids into suitcases before check-in. This will save time at the security check. The new rules concern only the hand baggage; passengers have access to during the flight.

Are there any additional changes?

At the beginning of May 2007, a stricter regulation for the size of the hand baggage will come into operation. Bags will be restricted to the size 56x45x25 cm. This corresponds to the already valid rules of the International Air Traffic Authority (IATA). Each aircraft passenger may bring along only one piece of hand baggage.

DW staff (nda)



Advertisement



Tot: 0.295s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.1048s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb