Escape from Milan: The 5 Gorgeous Towns of Lake Como


Advertisement
Europe
April 18th 2019
Published: April 18th 2019
Edit Blog Post



The fashion capital of the world, Milan, is a well revered and visited city. A modern cosmopolitan with deep roots in its colorful history, Milan is a wonderful city to step foot on and explore. As you arrive in the modernized and the largest airport in northern Italy, Milan Malpensa welcomes you to the famous city.

From streets filled with luxurious boutique shops at the Galleria Vittoria Emanuele to the adjacent stunning Piazza del Duomo and the famous cathedral. For those who prefer a peaceful getaway, why not head north to one of the most serene and tranquil places in Italy, Lake Como.

A laid back getaway to nature along the banks of the lake and into the lush greeneries of the surrounding hills. The journey from the city will take no longer than 2 hours however it is a trip worth taking for the breathtaking views and its unrivaled beauty.

Below is a list of the most beautiful towns around Lake Como.

Como

While considered as a city, Como definitely keeps a small town vibe with its laid back atmosphere. Located at the southernmost tip of the lake, its visitors get magnificent views of the lake in its glory. Its gorgeous Duomo rises above the city while family-owned restaurants and cafes line the narrow streets. Head up to the town of Brunate using the funicular for a great vantage point seeing Como and natural scenery from above. A perfect place to start your Lake Como adventure.

Varenna

A quaint fishing village on the eastern part of the lake, Varenna is a rustic area to explore especially along its promenade looking out to the glorious lake. The town is dotted with pastel-colored buildings and a church spire piercing through the beautiful backdrop of green hills. Head to the leafy Villa Monastero and walk through its dreamy garden filled and witness the grandeur of its interior rooms and hallways.

Bellagio

The charming town of Bellagio is located on the tip of the fork that sees Lake Como become one body of water. Bellagio is the most famous town on the lake due to its undoubted allure of a classic Italian town with plenty of steeping narrow streets and alleyways by the lake. Avoid the crowds and visit during sunset, not only that you get to wander the streets comfortably, but you will also get treated to an exquisite sunset.

Lecco

To see an authentic Italian town in Lake Como, head over to Lecco. Devoid of all touristic fare, Lecco is a great way to take a peek on the daily life of a local living along the famous lake. Nestled on the foothills of the Resegone mountain, you can see baroque architecture dating back during the renaissance era.

Mennagio



On the western side of the lake is the town of Mennagio. As one of the larger towns around the lake, Mennagio has a wealth of space for picturesque squares and leisure amenities. While the town retains a peaceful atmosphere that is popular within the lake, it holds some significant historical structures such as the original medieval city.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.611s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 42; dbt: 0.2933s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb