How Will Brexit Affect Travelling in the UK


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom
October 5th 2017
Published: October 5th 2017
Edit Blog Post

How Will Brexit Affect Travelling in the UK

The UK has been one of the great attractions of Europe, with millions of tourists coming every year. It is definitely a country that knows how to make itself wanted and this brings benefits in many domains.

No matter what time of the year it is, the streets of the UK are filled with tourists who fall in love with this country and many find their way to this country again and again. Brexit has been quite a hit for the people who were considering a holiday in the UK, since they don’t really know what to expect. New rules, new restrictions, new requirements for traveling. All this might make the holiday planning a bit more difficult. However, it is best to know how things really stand before EU citizens plan a vacation in the UK, and the UK citizens plan one in the EU.

What About The Old Passports?

At present, all British passports have the EU statement on the front cover, just like all passports from European countries. It is important to know that even after Brexit, all passports issued before Brexit will continue to be valid until the 10 years expire. However, after Brexit happens, the passport will not have the same effects in the EU. Regarding the new passports issued after March 2019, they will keep the present design and size, just without the EU mark.

How Will The UK Citizens Travel To The EU After Brexit?

If you want to travel to the EU right now, all you need is a valid passport. However, once Brexit happens, British citizens will no longer benefit from an automatic right of admission.

The EU is working on a system called ETIAS (European Travel Information And Authorization System) for non-EU citizens. Basically, all such citizens will have to enter on a website prior to their visit, pay a 5 euro fee and answer a few questions. For example, the website will ask for personal information such as name, passport details, but also the purpose of your visit and the address where you will be staying. All appliers will receive a travel authorization or a rejection within 96 hours. Although this system is just a proposition, it is most likely to become a reality in the near future.

How Will EU Citizens Travel To The UK?

There is some good news in this department. Although it is just a rumor, Britain might allow visa-free travel for visitors. However, this should not be confused with the free of movement under the EU laws which also provides the right to work. It is not the case, since people who come to the UK to study, work or settle will need to comply with the new migration policy.

In case you wish to settle in the UK, you will need to apply for an “Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) and meet their requirements. Theresa May has promised to give a chance to all EU residents to remain in the UK and has made public the steps to follow in this matter.

What About The European Health Insurance Card?

Thanks to the EHIC, all UK citizens benefited from free or reduced cost treatment in other European countries. However, after Brexit it is not clear what will replace this arrangement. Until now, there has been no statement regarding this matter. What it is certain though, is that the result will be a mirror of what each party is willing to give in return.

Final Thoughts



Both the UK and the EU countries are excellent destinations for holidays and it would be a waste to stay away from them because of the fear of strict regulations. Brexit will not close doors like we keep hearing, but we might close them ourselves if we don’t do some research.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.585s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 7; qc: 43; dbt: 0.2183s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb