A Magical Day


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Wales » Powys » Crickhowell
September 12th 2016
Published: October 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 51.8637, -3.1372

We left Bath without any dramas, somewhat regretfully as it is a lovely city and headed back towards Wales. We mixed it up with speeding on the M4, a traffic jam and then a scenic country drive. After a couple of hours we got to Brecon Beacons national park and the Big Pit - a coal mine that was closed in 1980 and then re opened as a mining museum in 1983. It is staffed by ex miners who, needless to say are real characters.

It was an amazing tour, including a one hour trip down the mine. Jaysus, what horrific working conditions. In the late 1800s and early 1900s it really was slavery. Even in recent times it was dangerous, frightening work. However all the guys we spoke to would be back down the mines working in an instant if they could. It was a great tour - and what's more it was free, all paid for by the Welsh government.

We then tootled over the hills, past the horses, sheeps and cattle on the high hills. We are staying with friends of Linda's who live on an estate. They were initially employed to manage the B&B and be the groundsman. The grounds are fantastic, the buildings old - we really feel like we are staying in a different time. We spent a most enjoyable hour or two wandering around the estate with the dog, feeling like ladies of the manor!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



12th September 2016

Loving your blog and photos.xx

Tot: 0.136s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0569s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb