Wales and Norwich


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Wales » Newport
June 22nd 2019
Published: June 22nd 2019
Edit Blog Post

British Tour – Highlights - Blog II



The principle reason for visiting the UK was to travel to Newport, Wales to honour our friend’s late uncle who had been a Medical Doctor in Wales and who participated in the founding of a hospice in that area. Before the day of the plaque unveiling and while in the area we took the opportunity to visit Cardiff Castle and Tredegar house.

Using the British Rail system, we travelled across the country to Norwich where we ended our stay in England. Once again, the principle reason for visiting the area was to visit with relatives; our friend’s sister, and one of my cousins. Our accommodation for our four day stay in the city was at the Maid’s Head Hotel, which has been in existence since the late 1200’s.

Norwich is a lovely historical city with a cathedral that is 900+ years old and the third oldest Norman castle in England. We explored both locations extensively.

On our last morning in Norwich the head of housecleaning for the hotel offered to give us a guided tour of the building to show us some of the newly renovated rooms. It is amazing what modern fixtures you can fit into a 13thcentury shell.

As a treat the hotel has purchased a 1963 Bentley and offers guests a free half-hour tour of the city. So before we left for the train station our ladies took the chance to ride around in style before being dropped off at the train station. They did say the sight of the car rolling through the busy streets attracted stares from pedestrians.

You’ll hear from us next in six weeks as we set sail for another cruise with Holland America Line on their “Voyage of the Vikings”.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.181s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 17; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0882s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb