A day in Wales


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Wales » Monmouthshire » Chepstow
July 3rd 2017
Published: July 6th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Chepstow Castle from North bankChepstow Castle from North bankChepstow Castle from North bank

I "borrowed" this picture from the internet so you could see the entire castle. We did not travel to the other side of the river. :-)
Sorry for the delay, but we have been without internet for a couple of days!

This day started fairly early as we had about an hour and forty-five minute drive (about 90 miles) into Chepstow, Wales. The weather was quite dreary when we left, but cleared up as we got closer to the castle. It was a nice day for a walk around. There were very few visitors except for the 2 busloads of youngsters (probably 7 through 9 years of age). They were very well behaved, but still very chatty. We tried to keep our distance from them most of the time. This was not difficult as the castle grounds are fairly large.

After leaving the castle, we headed for Kingstone Brewery. We were not able to keep a good signal on our Google Maps, so we searched the car's SatNav. It was unable to locate the brewery, but located Tintern which I remembered was close to the location of the brewery. Once we arrived at the Abbey in Tintern, we tried Google Maps again. As we pulled out on the main road, the map became confused and sent us off back toward where we had just come.
Severn BridgeSevern BridgeSevern Bridge

The Severn Bridge is a motorway suspension bridge spanning the River Severn and River Wye between south Gloucestershire (just north of Bristol) in England, and Chepstow, Monmouthshire in southeast Wales. There was a £6.50 charge to traverse the bridge. Luckily they only charged us to get into Wales, not out. :-)
We thought that might be wrong, however, continued to follow the directions. The road was a 2 lane road with areas of one lane due to construction and had no other roads off it. When we finally returned to a roundabout, it proceeded to tell us to turn around and go back the 4 miles to Tintern Abbey. Apparently that was the only place it thought we could make a u-turn. Ha! The traffic was starting to build on the road and we decided not to turn around and go back. It was already about 1, so we headed back. All in all, it was still a good trip.


Additional photos below
Photos: 46, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Tower stepsTower steps
Tower steps

A very small spiral stairway leads up the tower.
Stairway doorStairway door
Stairway door

Each level had its own door. This was the only one with the original door.
Top floorTop floor
Top floor

The tower was 3 levels. Naturally, the floors are all gone, so you walk to the top and look down through each of the floors.
Intricate stoneworkIntricate stonework
Intricate stonework

This was inside an area that looked to be a fireplace.
Narrow windowNarrow window
Narrow window

This window area had seating.
Remains of the roofRemains of the roof
Remains of the roof

This was the roof of the tower and some of the remains.
Battlement statuesBattlement statues
Battlement statues

Most of the statues were not in good shape. This was probably one of the better ones.
View from the towerView from the tower
View from the tower

The white cloth is a tent, apparently for an upcoming venue.
View of the Severn BridgeView of the Severn Bridge
View of the Severn Bridge

This was taken from the tower. You can see the Severn Bridge off in the distance.


7th July 2017

Wales
Wow, it is amazing how much the tide goes out. Love the Castle - was that Jean pulling his pants up a bit? LOL

Tot: 0.12s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0747s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb