Hiking Snowdonia; The Beginning.


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Wales » Gwynedd » Snowdonia
April 23rd 2012
Published: April 23rd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Meet my partner; packed with the kind of enthusiasm and endeavour that enables her to achieve the unachievable. Boasting the experience of a childhood trip to the Breacon Beacons she is in good shape to laugh off any physical challenge. Alongside her, my good self; determination oozing out of my eye balls. A swagger in my step having successfully scrambled up the Balham Hill with only two puffs of my inhaler. Together we were to embark on a three day expedition in Snowdonia National Park, entirely ill prepared and with an incredible lack of idea of what we were letting ourselves in for.

After 268 miles of driving we knew we had entered Wales firstly because the road signs read like anagrams and second when we spotted a cow ambling across the bridge above us. Base Camp was Erw Fair Guest House, situated plumb in the middle of the village of Llanberis (roughly translated into The Parish of Beris). The village is skirted by Llyn Padarn and Llyn Peris and sits under the watchful eye of Mount Snowdon. This mining village was heavily reliant upon the slate industry working out of the Dinorwig Quarry which began operating in the summer of 1787 and in its pomp employed over 3000 men. Sadly, the quarry closed in 1969 and since has relied on tourists such as ourselves. Martin and Sally welcomed us to Erw Fair with the kind of enthusiasm only given by your parents. With fresh enthusiasm after their trip to The Gambia they couldnt have done enough for us throughout our stay.

Mount Snowdon - or Yr Wyddfa - is the tallest peak in England and Wales. Standing at 1085 metres Snowdon is the remains of an extinct volcano. According to ancient legend it is said to be the burial place of the giant ogre Rhita, vanquished by King Arthur. With Rhita out of the way it was left to a botanist Thomas Johnson to record the first ever ascent in 1639. Some years later we followed in his footsteps.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.151s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 53; dbt: 0.103s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb